Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

brakes pulsating issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Default brakes pulsating issue

I drive a 99 camry 4-cyl. When i brake in a straight line, everythign is fine. When i brake a tiny bit harder then normal smooth brakeing, and run over somethign bumpy, lane markers for example, my brake pedal vibrates sorta like my ABS kicking in for no reason. This also happens if i brake and turn at the same time and brake and go over a pedal. I got new rotors and brake pads, but no change. The pulsation is felt int eh pedal only, not the steering wheel or the car itself. It can be heard witht eh windows up from inside the car. And it sounds like it only comes from the front wheels.

This is a real problem whihc i need to get fixed because when it pulsates, i loose braking pressure, which makes my stopping distance longer if i don't brake harder after that.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: brakes pulsating issue

well then it does sound like abs.

you may have some tires that arent giving you sufficient traction OR you need to slow down a bit.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:13 PM

Well if you had this problem before changing the brakes and rotors , then that rules out a lot of things . The only other things i can think of would be to check forworn /damaged front-wheel bearings or
worn/ faulty tires .

Old 04-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

well you have a slightly sticky brake caliper piston but the brake guys should have caught that if they were experienced.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:26 PM

btw, i changed my brakes and rotors myself with a friend's help and all. But, my check engine light just lit up, most likly for an oil change, so it will goto a shop soon enough. It is jsut a bit scary if i am braking and just drive over sand or a sewer cover on the road, and it pulsates a bit...

Old 04-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

your check engine is not an indicator to change your oil because generation 4 camry's were not equiped with such an indicator.

Well its good its doing that because if your tires lock up you can no longer steer and in most cases you wont slow down as fast. Sand, smooth surfaces will cause the abs to go off on any car if you break the braking threshold.