Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Camry 2011 xle stiff steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 06:02 PM
Exclamation Camry 2011 xle stiff steering

Just bought Camry 2011 XLE /37.500 Miles. *Toyota Used Certified Warranty*

When driving this first day everything ran very smooth and very light. After I took it to get State Inspections and Emissions, for the last couple days, the car has been feeling somewhat heavier. I ran it by the shop I went to and they test drove it and said it was fine. The steering seams to be a bit heavy no when I turn. The wheel doesn't set back smoothly at all/stays stuck. The car doesn't seem to run as "light anymore" The wheel feels very heavy/dragging at times when steering from right to left.

I heard that spraying Tri-Flow lube with teflon on the Universal (U-Joint)/steering column will work wonders in making it smoother.

How do I locate the Universal joint for spray application in my camry?

Thank you! Any help appreciated!

Old 07-18-2014, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

So, you're saying that you make a turn and the steering doesn't doesn't go back to center on it's own? Like, make turn, let go of steering and it does not turn back to straight?
Something is wrong if that is the case and I don't think any lube is going to really help unless you bought a 'Flood' car, which I doubt you would.
I'm pretty sure your Camry has speed sensitive steering and I wonder if it is stuck in the 'high speed' mode, meaning the power assist is less. How is the car at high speeds?
If the first dealership is giving you the run around, find another. You have the warranty. The steering wheel should right itself after making a turn and after you have loosened your grip on the wheel.