Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Clicking noise ...CV joint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Default Clicking noise ...CV joint?

Hey guys,

i have a 1990 Camry and am having a noise issue. the car is a i6 auto fwd, 150,000miles. the noise comes when i am turning and acealerating. if i just ride a turn with no gas, the noise dosent happen. it also doesnt happen while moving foward without turning. i have read similar problems and people say it could be a CV joint. any ideas if it is? and if so can i fix it or should i go somewhere... not really lookin to drop alot of money, so if anyone knows a way around it or if its ok to just live with it?. thanks -jc

Old 02-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Default RE: Clicking noise ...CV joint?

Well, I suggest, jacking up the car, USE JACK STANDS!! And inspect the Axle that is in question. More specificially, look at the CV joints. Inspect for cracks in the boot and wiggle to feel for slop. Since you have two axles, it's most likely that only one possibly bad, so wiggle the good one for reference and then go to the "bad" on.

If it is the CV joint, you can rebuild the joint, HOWEVER, I suggest replacing the entire axle. I don't know the prices on Camry axles, but I'd think It would be $80 for a new axle with a core return. Or 200-300 to get it done at a shop.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Clicking noise ...CV joint?

A clicking noise when turning is typical of a bad CV joint. If a joint, the noise will get louder over time.

When turning corners which side does the noise come from? The opposite side is the bad joint. Thus if noise from the left side, the bad joint would be on the right.

As Danomatic states inspect the joints. If a boot is split or torn chances are the joint is damaged from dirt and loose of grease.

One place to check for parts is www.rockauto.com.