Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

New struts

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 06:40 AM
Question New struts

Once I have addressed the oil sludge/gel problem I need to replace the struts on my '95 LE.

My research led me to Monroe® OESpectrum® struts, are any members using these? How do you like the ride?

Also, I'm fairly sure the car has the original struts... they are shot and loose.
What 'other' items should I consider replacing while I'm at it?

Thanks!

Last edited by Rex Kramer; 01-14-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

The upper insulator on the strut (combo insulator and protective boot for strut rod) can fail with age. Remove the tires and determine if the boot has broken into two parts.

The upper strut mounts can deteriorate making a knocking noise when going over bumps or rough roads. Same for the sway bar bushings. Are you experiencing any suspension noise?

The front strut mounts have a bearing to allow the strut to rotate, this bearing can fail making a slight popping noise when turning the steering wheel.

When the front tires are off inspect the tie rod ends and ball joints for play. Plus control arm bushings for deterioration.

On the rear check the bushings on the ends of the suspension rods for deterioration.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:27 PM

I have a similar question as I use my 99 for work i'm a tech and haul tools and spare parts for industrial equipment half way around the country im looking for a "air bag" type system that will allow me to haul the weight in the trunk space with out lifting the front off the ground all i can find is lowering setups I dont want to get any lower any idea's

Old 01-15-2012, 02:48 AM

Thank you.

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Are you experiencing any suspension noise?
Yes, knocking from the rear.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

For afirover, conduct an internet search. Air bags exist for this model but you need to check for your specific year. There was a post on this about a month ago at this site.

For kramer. Knocking can be caused by several suspension problems.

One is worn upper strut mounts. The mounts are located under the rear deck panel below the rear window on the outboard sides of the deck. Have someone drive the car over bumps or rough road while you determine if the knocking is just under the deck or is coming from under the chassis and is some other problem.

Another area is the sway bar bushings. Worn bushings can make a knock, squeak or rattle noise when going over bumps or rough roads. These bushings are low cost, if replacing the struts change these out.

The above two items are common problems.

Also but less typically are the strut connecting links connecting the bar to the strut.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho

For kramer. Knocking can be caused by several suspension problems.

One is worn upper strut mounts...
Yep, that's the source of the knocking noise.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

The problem is the upper strut mounts? If so can replace the mount and strut at the same time.

Knocking upper strut mounts are common.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:57 AM

Roger that, thanks.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:18 AM

What is the average price paid for new front and new rear struts installed?

Old 01-29-2012, 07:14 PM

All 4 struts have been replaced.

The ride is improved, but I'm now thinking I should have replaced the coils springs

Quick Reply: New struts