Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

rear hum (becoming groan) noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Default rear hum (becoming groan) noise

we have a 2004 camry v6 3.0. theres been this intermittent hum/buzz noise, but only between 0 and 20 mph. its starting to turn into a groan noise, at some point, and sometimes when turning a corner as well. Its obvious from the passenger side and you can about feel it when it does it. I assumed it was brakes/calipers or a wheel bearing.. most bearings ive had gone bad. make whine or groan when speeding up. this seems to happen more around 20 mphs or less to make it constant. ive checked trhe brakes and even replaced the caliper pins and lubed. I tried to check the front bearings at last listne. there is no movement can detect or really made any odd sound when free spinning (car in neutral on jackstand), but the back right rear i did hear a hard to explain rolling noise, thats something you can hear and an occasional rub noise but not the whole spin. i already thought the brake was rubbing, but im starting to think its not.. tonight i jacked it up. and at 12 oclock and 6 i tried to move it. well it doesnt move, however, when i went to free turn it again the rub noise went away. I havent driven it yet. will do that in the morning, to see the buzz sound. Im guessing it is the rear wheel bearing/hub. but any other input is great?

also, if it is the hub bearing. I know you should replace both sides, but unforatunely. i dont have that much cash to do both right now if it is. BUT when i look online for the part. some say driver side and passenger ? are they really 2 different sides (even though they dont look different). or does it matter? i mean is there a universal hub. or is there really a driver and passenger side? for the rear. thanks! sorry for all the info but really been stumped on this one.. (so much has been going wrong on this car at once!).

Old 04-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

If you think it is a wheel bearing, when driving at speeds when the sound occurs steer left and right rapidly to shift the cars weight from one side to the other. Determine if the noise increases/decreases with the loading.

Have you checked the tires?

Sometimes the front rear sway bar bushings or links can make noise when going over bumps. A groan, sometimes a knock or rattle.

The front wheel bearings are the same.

The difference in the rear hub/bearing appears to be with ABS equipped cars. Non-ABS cars appear to have the same L and R hub/bearing combo.

I don't know of any reason only one bearing could not be replaced. The issue is typically with struts, best to replace struts in pairs.

If you think it is a rear bearing these can be replaced MUCH easier then the front. You might be able to do this yourself. The front bearings are pressed into the steering knuckle with the hub pressed into the center race.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:13 PM

well it only happens 20 mphs or less it seems. its systematic with a wheel noise. like rotating sound , so easy to just show, but trying my best to explain this good.. its does it pretty much constantly under that speed, except it has a rhythm to it, almost like you would. spinning a dial, and when 2 points touch you make a noise.. i just replace the rear end links on the sway bar because of a knock noise. but this is a buzz sound.. just a couple days now. when we turn sometimes like around a corner. you can hear it more into a groan now than just a buzz. we deliver papers in the morning. so i will really test it in the morning and can reply back to what i hear.. i will try the back and forth wheel movement too. i always heard to replace things in pairs, in some parts, but when its $200 a part, i can only do the bad one right now *unless its both bad*< but you only hear it on the passenger side. and it really does sound like its coming from the rear.

when i jacked it up tonight that back right side. you can hear a every now and then rub noise when i free spin the tire. but at least once before it makes a full circle. sometimes will make a louder rolling noise. not quiet, but not like grinding either. just louder. i try to jiggle it. and it didnt seem to move at all, but then when i spun it the rub noise went away and it was a bit quieter..i will be able to see in the morning if that made a different. ive check the brakes and caliper and even got new pins and lubed, but that doesnt seem to change anything.

it is an ABS system , let say I did just get the right rear hub bearing. is there a seperate one for that side, or just one for either side? i know i already asked, but think i misunderstood.

i did try to spin the from in neutral and on a jack stand, but i didnt hear anything compared to the back. there is one thing with the front tho. if you have it in park and on a stand, and a try to rotate it (tho it shouldnt move) it does move about half an inch in either direction before locking. i do know a lot about cars now.. but never dealt with axles on a front wheel drive (all my old cars were rear wheel drive), is that normal or maybe an axle problem? i dont think that would be anything to do with this buzz buzz buzz sound.... and ive check all the suspenstion and even in the front i didnt see anything that would sound like a rattle. but this is really a hum/buzz sound... and it so systematic with the tires... if i could record it i would.. but i dont know if it can be heard maybe i can try that in the morning.. least the sound and upload it.. i can make the sound happen ...

Old 04-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

For the rear bearings, if ABS there is both a right and left side part listed.

If you suspect a front axle one test is to make 90 and 180 degree turns at say 15 MPH, as if turning onto a side street. Listen for clicking, popping indicating a bad CV joint.

Have you tried moving the tires around, rotating in the spare?

Toyota uses a dial indicator to check for excess play in the wheel bearing.

When you rotated the hub, did you retract the pads or shoes to eliminate any noise from these items?

If a bad wheel bearing it will become louder and louder until it becomes very obvious. It's not like the hub will fall off if left to run for time. Suggest you keep monitoring the bearing while continuing to check for other possible problems.

Check the website Rockauto for parts. Great service, selection and very good prices.

If you can make the sound happen by shifting the weight on one side or the other of the car (swaying the car body) this would be an indication of a bad bearing.

The rear hub incorporates the ABS sensor into a one piece unit. Suppose it is possible the ABS sensor is making the noise and not the bearing.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:43 PM

im going to record an audio of the sound in the morning see if i can upload it or connect it somehow to the thread to hear it. i will do the turning of the wheel to see if the sound changes. today i didnt remove or retract the brakes, however last night i removed it altogether and spun it.. its not like grinding metal (like that groan a brake makes when its down to nothing) but its a loud rolling sound. louder then the front anyhow. i can try it again tomorrow and remove the brake if i need to again. i dont think its the sway bar since its pretty solid. its pretty much a hum and sometimes when turning a corner (i think usually without coming to a complete stop), it is starting to make a sudden groan until you straighten it. but i will do a lot of these tests in the morning.. for sure. its no cv joint sound im sure of that. least the knocking/popping sound. ive heard that sound before when that part has gone bad on a friends car. it only does it under 20 mph. above that i dont hear the buzz/hum. however. there is a lot of road noise/or maybe bearing. i assumed its road noise. I have taken the spare (Which is prertty much brand spanking new. or very unused) and put it there and it still makes the sound.. hum/buzz sound that is the most distinct sound it does make.

that does make sense that each side would be different because of the abs sensor. i didnt unhook the sensor itself, but i did unhook the main abs block.. and it still made the buzzing sound...

but im going to do a few experients driving it in the mornig, including trying to record it.. and if i cant upload the sound file here ill try elsewhere and direct a link. or even email it... i dont think itll fall over.

but we had an aerostar that made a constant groan sound while driving. evntually yhe whole thing wobbled and i had to stop and fix it in a parking lot. but that wheel bearing was total shot and you can replace that..

but i do hear a different sound when turning a corner. so anyway i will do a few tests in the morning and defintely will let you know.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:00 AM

I have this same issue and thought it was bearings. After buying bearings I proceeded to disassemble to install. Then after removing the disk I could see the parking brakes were extremely worn and now suspect them and not bearings. I adjusted brake so it would not rub and the noise was not near as noticeable and more on side I did not adjust. So you may want to look at them before buying hub. They are $25 versus $120 from RockAuto.