Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Steering stiff and sticking

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 04:56 PM

I'm flying in to Jersey tomorrow so will give it a try. Will follow up with the results later. Thanks for the quick response haze.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:04 AM

I'm hoping somebody that's had this experience & fixed it sees this, because I'm having the same problem right now and need to know how to find/get at the u joint on the steering rack. Thanks!

Old 11-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Look down inside the engine compartment where the steering column shaft would exit the passenger compartment through the firewall. You will see it.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Smile

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for the info on the steering problem. I was having the same problems on my 97 Camry. I tried several types of spray lubes, 10w-40, white lithium, pb blaster all with little or no help. I was starting to think I would have to replace the joint until I went on a mission to find the tri-flow with Teflon. Since none of the local parts stores carry tri-flow I went to the internet for help and found out that many bicycle enthusiasts swear by this as a great chain and sprocket lube. So I went to my local bike shop and sure enough they had it for sale. But at $10 for a small can I took a pass. I then went to Home Depot and found a spray lubricant with teflon. Can't remember what the name was just remember that it had teflon and it was only about $5 for a large can. I tried it out by soaking the joint and then turning the wheel and spraying the joint again from the other side. This worked great and has been good for about a month now. I think that the teflon must be the key ingredient to making the joint loosen up and stay that way.

Good luck to all others.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Default Still going strong

I just checked this thread and realized it's been over 3 and a half years since I had the steering problem.

Steering is still working fine, and I probably haven't sprayed the u-joint in over a year!

I salute the lubricating power of TEFLON !!!

-

Old 07-17-2014, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Might check the U-joint at the bottom of the steering wheel shaft for binding. You should be able to see this joint when looking on engine side of the firewall.
Just bought Camry 2011 XLE /37.500 Miles. *Toyota Used Certified Warranty*

When driving this first day everything ran very smooth and very light. After I took it to get State Inspections and Emissions, for the last couple days, the car has been feeling somewhat heavier. I ran it by the shop I went to and they test drove it and said it was fine. The steering seams to be a bit heavy no when I turn. The wheel does set back smoothly at all. The car doesn't seem to run as "light anymore" The wheel feels very heavy/dragging at times when steering from right to left.

I heard that spraying Tri-Flow lube with teflon on the Universal (U-Joint)/steering column will work wonders in making it smoother.

How do I locate the Universal joint for spray application in my camry? I'm not so much of a car part savy guy

Thank you! Any help appreciated!

Old 03-05-2016, 04:47 PM
Smile Teflon works

After reading this for same issue I noticed on my 04 Camry I took it to dealer and asked to lube with Teflon. And they sprayed but not sure if it was Teflon or something else as it did not help. I bought it and gave it a try before taking it back for repair and this thing works really well and quickly. Glad to have seen this. Thanks

Old 01-17-2017, 01:41 AM
Default I met same problem, how to locate the Universal joint?

My Camry run into same problem. Checked Power Steering liquid , it is OK. Belt and tires are fine.

Just wonder:
#1 How to verify if the pump working (for Power Steering liquid)
#2 How to locate the universal joint? can I touch it from Cockpit, or, do I need to open engineer lid to touch it?

Advice would be appreciated!

Old 01-17-2017, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

If the pumped failed, the steering would be very hard.

The link below provides information for 2003-2006 Camry and can help you find the joint on your car.

http://file.seekpart.com/keywordpdf/...1322781266.pdf

Old 02-24-2017, 08:57 AM
Default Thanks for everyone for share the experience

I met the same situation and got it fixed. I would like to express sincere appreciation for everyone to share the experience.

I use a lubrication with Teflon in Homedepot, which works. forgot the brand name, but it can work under the temperature of minus 13, which make sense in the northern area.

Quick Reply: Steering stiff and sticking