Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Steering stiff and sticking

Old 02-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting back with your good results.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:50 PM
Thumbs up Brilliant!

I acquired a 2003 Camry in March of 2017. It's a good little car, but has it's quirks (like me). Last week, as I was driving home, I noticed the steering was a bit stiffer than usual. I searched online and VOILA! I had an answer. Took me a week to find/order the Tri-Flow (Ace WAS the place ) and since the store is located in a "ritzier" local town, I decided not to mess with the car right then and there. Drove back home and was noticing all the things other people said, "...doesn't recentre after a turn...feels sluggish..." Pulled into the driveway, popped the hood, and proceeded to locate the u-joint. It's a ways down the firewall and there's no way the plastic tube was going to reach. Overcoming my OCD, I just sprayed the lube all over the joint, hitting some of the hoses and wires with overspray. Got in the car, cranked the steering full range a couple of times, then drove a few blocks to the bank, taking every turn I could along the way. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Almost completely recentred on turns and by the time I had driven the six blocks, it was almost like a brand new car.

Not being satisfied, I figured that I only hit one side of the u-joint, so I drove down to a local park, turned the steering wheel 180*, turned off the engine, and sprayed the other side. As I was getting back into the car, I remembered that the bottom of the steering shaft can need lubricated too (causes wheel chatter, which I had during the cold days of spring), so I hit that with Tri-Flow, as well.

Now, it drives just like a new car. I also hit the door and trunk locks, as well as the hood latch, so I should be set for a bit. Thanks again for the excellent info!

Old 09-14-2017, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Great job.

Thanks for posting! This is a common issue.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:44 PM
Default Met problem! The tube of lubricating was dropped in the bottom of the engineer cabin

Met problem! The tube of lubricating was dropped in the bottom of the engineer cabin

I tried to lubricate it again, but, suddenly, the tube was lose then dropped in the bottom of the engineer cabin.

I can see it, but cannot reach it. I feel it would be better it get it out in order to avoid any potential risk.

Just wonder if there is any tool for this special situation?

Any advise would be very appreciated!

Old 01-04-2018, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

How about a long stick, or coat hanger or section of house wiring (Romex) bent to fit into the area. Try to move the tube off what it dropped onto and onto the ground.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:48 PM
Default Thank you very much for the advise

Originally Posted by toyomoho
How about a long stick, or coat hanger or section of house wiring (Romex) bent to fit into the area. Try to move the tube off what it dropped onto and onto the ground.

Thank you very much for the advise.

I drover the car today. After back home, I open the hood try to look for the tube, but cannot find it any more.

May I assume it might drop off from the open space at bottom of the engineer cabin?

Just worry if it happens suck in any other joint.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Great?

Old 01-27-2018, 10:55 AM
Default Triflow (teflon based) fixed the stiff steering issue

I have a 2003 Camry with 127,000 miles. The steering was stiff and hard to turn. I sprayed Tri-flow as noted here. I turned the steering wheel completely to one end, applied the fluid at the universal joint and turned it again in the other direction and sprayed again at the joint to make sure it penetrates in between the joints. I took the car out and could feel significant improvement. I brought the car back and I repeated the same and drove the car and made right and left turns where sharp turns were needed and also made a couple of complete 360 degree turns in clock and counter clockwise directions in a safe area. The stiffness is completely gone! Thank you for sharing your experience.

Last edited by ram99; 01-27-2018 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Corrected the product name
Old 01-27-2018, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Great job!

Thanks for posting with your experience.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:14 AM
Luc
Default I cleaned the u-joint by spraying it with hot water whole so

I fixer the problem by spraying the U-Joint with hot water from a garden hose while someone else was turning the wheel right and left (full rotations).
Worked fine for 6 months then got stiff again!
Took the hose and hot water out again, sprayed again, worked fine again... See you in 6 months.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering stiff and sticking