Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:21 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

What Tire Pressure to use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Default What Tire Pressure to use?

I am sorry if this is a repost. I searched before posting this question.

I drive a 06 Camry XLE . The sticker in my car asks me to fill up the tire pressure to 29 on all the wheels. Is this the practical value to use?

Can any one suggest the practical (on-road) value?

Old 02-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Default RE: What Tire Pressure to use?

You cannot go wrong using the OEM tire pressure values. I have always used 35psi on all 4's and this gives me better gas mileage and longer tire wear. It gets to be a compromise between ride/handling/mileage. One thing for sure is with heavy loads you want to add more pressure. With a full box I put 45psi in my P/U truck. As pressures decrease tire heat goes up.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

what is the maxium psi stated on the sidewall of the tire?
how does 29psi feel and look visiually?

On a side note, i find it wierd that car manufactureres are posting lower and lower psi numbers for newer and newer cars.
The pressures you fill actually vary with car and tire. In general the goof proof way to do it is 35psi in all tires. I personally fill 38 in front and 35 in the rear. My reason is the camry has a 60/40 weight distribution, and i prefer better handling but not at the risk of uneven wear and low road contact. My tires are rated at 44psi max.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:21 AM

ORIGINAL: nodrogkam

On a side note, i find it wierd that car manufactureres are posting lower and lower psi numbers for newer and newer cars.
The pressures you fill actually vary with car and tire. In general the goof proof way to do it is 35psi in all tires. I personally fill 38 in front and 35 in the rear. My reason is the camry has a 60/40 weight distribution, and i prefer better handling but not at the risk of uneven wear and low road contact. My tires are rated at 44psi max.
Hey nodrogkam, this is actually what I'm trying to figure out. I just upgraded my 14" wheels to 16". Old Pirelli tires where 195/70 r14 max 35psi, when I was using those I had them at 30psi front and back. Now my new Falken tire are 205/55 r16 max 51psi. I kept the tire pressure at 30psi front and back (as recommended by Toyota). But the tires look almost flat. And sI'm concerned about the unnecessary wear. I know the added weight in size affects the gas mileage, but having such a low tire pressure seems like it's even more so.

Question is, without being to concerned about ride comfort (although would still like some), and more focus on handling, what would you recommended the tire pressure to be for my tires?

Cheers.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:40 PM

My factory states 30 psi i beleive but i inflated them to 35 psi when cold......

Like stated my gas millage is way better and tires will last longer.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:06 PM

So you think it's safe to say I can inflate it 35 - 40psi? Or don't go higher than 35psi?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:39 AM

Original: nodrogkam

Visually you can't tell if the tires are under or over inflated that easily. There could be a 5-10psi difference between two tires and it would still look identical. I would just stick with the psi written on the sidewalls.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:10 AM

My tires are 50psi max. That's a pretty big difference between factory recommendation of 30psi (and that's for 195/70 r14). Visually my tires look flat. I had them inflated to 38psi, and was able to see the tread portion touching the ground. But when I let it down to 30psi, I can barely see the tread, unless I crouch really low to look.

I'm trying to figure out what the best pressure to put in. I don't think I'll be inflating them to 50psi, or even 45. It's got pretty good handling right now, but would like it to be better, and don't want any pre-mature wear.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Each tire has a maximum load rating at a maximum air pressure, info printed on the side wall. The ability for a tire to carry a load varies with tire pressure. If the load is decreased, the air pressure can be also. The load/air pressure info is charted by the tire manufacturer for each tire type and funished to the car maker.

Too low of pressure will result in a hotter running tire and damage. The car maker picks a pressure based on tire load, ride comfort, etc.

If too much air pressure, tire wear will occur in the center of the tire, if too little on the outside edges. Suggest if you are running at max tire pressure to get a tire wear gauge or a low cost plastic digital caliper (under $20). Then monitor tire wear across the tire tread to determine if the tire is wearing evenly given the tire pressure.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:20 PM

Don't plan on maxing the psi indicated by the tire. My confusion is some people suggest to stick with the car manufacturer's recommendation of 30psi. But this recommendation is under the assumption that you have the factory 195/70 r14 tire, which is about 35psi max, so the recommendation makes sense.

But since my tire is 50psi max (I DON'T want to max it out, but also don't want to keep it too low, as it looks now at 30psi), what is a safe pressure range for this tire spec, to still have a fairly comfortable ride, but better handling, and less wear. I'm thinking 35 - 40psi. But since I'm no expert and don't have much experience on larger tires (beyond 14"), I can't be sure that is a safe speculation. Just need confirmation.

Quick Reply: What Tire Pressure to use?