TCF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Toyota Camry Forums? Ask. Have a suggestion to better TCF? Tell us here.

2010 camry 4cylinder stalling

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 05:04 PM
Default 2010 camry 4cylinder stalling

So I was at a buddies house. We decided to go to Walmart, 2 blocks down, the car started shuddering. I pulled over and it was idling super rough. It does start but doesn't like to stay idling. My assumption is I have a piston that's not firing at all and another intermittently misfiring. I tried new spark plugs but that did nothing. I was told to try an ignition coil, but they're $100 and I don't want to spend money on it if that's not the issue. So my question is. Does this issue sound like an ignition coil went out? Or is there other issues i should check for?

Old 08-11-2016, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

The check light on?

How is the engine power, normal, rough?

Old 08-11-2016, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The check light on?

How is the engine power, normal, rough?
Yes it is on, and it's really rough, whole motor shaking.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

If the check light is on. The best and easiest way it to get the code(s) read. Depending what state you are in, many auto parts stores will read the code(s) for free.

There are codes for ign problems. Such as misfire on the X cylinder(s) numbers. Based on the cylinders numbers you can determine what ign coil it is.

My guess is its a coil.

If an intermediate problem the check light may go off when the engine is running OK.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:50 PM

If the check light is on. The best and easiest way it to get the code(s) read. Depending what state you are in, many auto parts stores will read the code(s) for free.

There are codes for ign problems. Such as misfire on the X cylinder(s) numbers. Based on the cylinders numbers you can determine what ign coil it is.

My guess is its a coil.

If an intermediate problem the check light may go off when the engine is running OK.
So i took it in the guy tells me i need a whole new engine. Said piston #4 has no compression. Im not sure if i should believe the guy.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

The engine was OK one moment, vibrating the next?

Get a second opinion.

What were the code(s)?

Does the engine ever operate normally now?

Old 08-24-2016, 05:50 PM

The engine was OK one moment, vibrating the next?

Get a second opinion.

What were the code(s)?

Does the engine ever operate normally now?
So i was told i had a misfire a while ago and that messed something up. And now the engine is shot, the valve is welded stuck i guess

Old 08-25-2016, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

It could be just a stuck valve that needs to be reworked or replaced.

Once the cylinder head is removed, the mechanic should be able to fully determine the problem and what repairs are needed.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:56 PM

I agree Joey but may I add (not knowing newer motors) removing the valve cover might show whats wrong. If a valve is just stuck, not bent you might work it free with a carb cleaner like gumout, i've done this with hyd. lifters to free them up and followed with a quart of trans fluid in the oil for a couple hours drive to run like new then change oil. Could a broken spring do this also if the single spring?

I've mostly worked on corvair,vw, 4cyl porsche, lov air cooled cars.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:49 AM

It could be just a stuck valve that needs to be reworked or replaced.

Once the cylinder head is removed, the mechanic should be able to fully determine the problem and what repairs are needed.
Originally Posted by g3bill
I agree Joey but may I add (not knowing newer motors) removing the valve cover might show whats wrong. If a valve is just stuck, not bent you might work it free with a carb cleaner like gumout, i've done this with hyd. lifters to free them up and followed with a quart of trans fluid in the oil for a couple hours drive to run like new then change oil. Could a broken spring do this also if the single spring?

I've mostly worked on corvair,vw, 4cyl porsche, lov air cooled cars.
I'm told that i might as well get a new engine because the time to look at all that would be damn near the price of putting a hew engine in. He said he can do it for 2500

Quick Reply: 2010 camry 4cylinder stalling