TCF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Toyota Camry Forums? Ask. Have a suggestion to better TCF? Tell us here.

New 2015 Camry SE Engine Light and Steering Light On

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 06:09 AM
Default New 2015 Camry SE Engine Light and Steering Light On

Hi,

I just brought a new 2015 Camry SE and the charging system warning light and electric power steering warning light is turned on when I start the system. When I start the engine, these lights turn off. I've only driven 200 miles on this car. Why is this happening and is my car safe to drive?

Thanks

Edit - The camry display says "Check charging system" but the dashboard shows the electric power steering warning light AND engine light i believe

NEVER was just paranoid, its normal, unless the lights go on AFTER the engine is turned on

Last edited by spiffmonkey1; 09-15-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Typically all indicator lights turn on when the ign key is turned on. Then once the engine is started unless a problem all turn off.

The charge light will be on when ign key on and engine is not running as the battery is not being charged.

If the steering light is on while engine running this means there is problem with the system.

Your owners manual will have some info on the dash lights and their meaning.

Toyota has a recall on the 2014-15 Camry electric steering. If your car is effected you will receive a notice in the mail or you can call a dealer and check by providing them with the VIN.

The car is still safe to drive even if the electric assist is not working. You will however need to use more force when turning the steering wheel but nothing dramatic. Still best to be ready for a change in steering wheel force needed if concerned about failure. Most drivers have never experienced manual steering and some panic when they need only just keep steering the car using more turning force.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:19 PM

Thanks for your reply. I guess I was being paranoid. When I start the system, all the lights do turn on, but then turn off quickly with only the steering light and check engine light on (and check battery on display). When I start the engine, all the lights turn off.