Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

door trim

Old 07-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Default door trim

I'm almost in the process of repainting my '91 camry (by myself[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]). And you know that trim on the doors?...well one of them fell of somewhere while I was driving and it came to my attention that the car will look much better without all of them. There is a problem however. There are holes drilled in the door that held the trim in place. My problem is to get rid of them. If I bondo them, the bodno will bubble up in like 1 year, so my only option is to weld them shut. Now I have almost no welding skills (took a shop class in high school a long time ago) so what would be the best way to fix this problem. I have a bernzomatic mini tourch thingy sitting around (for fixing pipes) andI was thinkingI could use that to weld up the holes. In case you don't know what I'm talking about here's a pic,it's the blue one andsecond from the left http://home.earthlink.net/~halcar200...ernzomatic.jpg
The holes arevery small, even smaller than a penny.

[sm=feedback.gif]Peace

Old 07-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Default RE: door trim

honestly- just replace the part because it'll just give you more trouble later on...i'd just pull them all off and repaint them to match the car color.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:08 PM

YeaI was thinking about just repainting them also, but the problem is that they are kinda made of rubbery material, which I'm not sure I can repaint. On top of that there's this chrome-ish line through the whole trim and I'm not sure if I can take it out. You said they'd give me more troubles later on....what do you mean by that?
[sm=dontgetit.gif]

peace

Old 07-27-2007, 01:01 AM

Like you stated , they might bubble and possibly crack within a year or two + you're gonna have to worry about sanding it down to blend with the body shape; which is gonna be a pain-guaranteed!. With the plastic/rubbery trim + chrome.. just sand it down and primer maybe 2 coats.. andit should be just fine to paint over. Someone correct me if i'm wrong!

Old 07-27-2007, 05:26 AM

Yeah, I know it'll give me problems if I bodno it but if I weld them they should be fine......right? [sm=insomnia.gif]