Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Are my 2007 Camry Hybrid seats really leather? Deep cleaning? Smell from heat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 02:53 PM
Question Are my 2007 Camry Hybrid seats really leather? Deep cleaning? Smell from heat?

I am the happy new owner of a used Camry Hybrid with 157K miles and apparently a replacement battery around 150K.

Anyway, it has tan leather or fake leather seats, I can't really tell. Was fake leather even an option?

Anyway, I'd like any advice on a deep deep cleaning while I still have that "new car" (to me) feeling.

My wife is scent sensitive, so I am also trying to figure out if the interior smell is from whatever the seats are made of (and enhanced by the heat/sun) or something else that I can deep clean.

Thanks!
Steve

Old 08-03-2018, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Toyota used synthetic leather in later model cars.

Per the owner's manual:

"Remove dirt using a soft cloth dampened with 5% solution of neutral detergent for wool. Then thoroughly wipe off all traces of detergent with a clean damp cloth. After cleaning or whenever any part of the leather gets wet, dry with a soft clean cloth. Allow the leather to dry in a ventilated shaded area.

NOTICE If a stain should fail to come out with a neutral detergent, apply a cleaner that does not contain an organic solvent. Never use organic substances such as benzene, alcohol or gasoline, or alkaline or acid solutions for cleaning the leather as these could cause discoloring. Use of a nylon brush or synthetic fiber cloth, etc. may scratch the fine grained surface of the leather.

Mildew may develop on soiled leather upholstery. Be especially careful to avoid oil spots. Try to keep your upholstery always clean. Long exposure to direct sunlight may cause the leather surface to harden and shrink.

Keep your vehicle in a shaded area, especially in the summer. The interior of your vehicle is apt to heat up on hot summer days, so avoid placing on the upholstery items made of vinyl or plastic or containing wax as these tend to stick to leather when warm.

Improper cleaning of the leather upholstery could result in discoloration or staining."