Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Appearance (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/appearance-10/)
-   -   Fog lamp install on my 1998 Camry (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/appearance-10/fog-lamp-install-my-1998-camry-49703/)

artfull dodger 08-28-2014 10:20 AM

Fog lamp install on my 1998 Camry

One of the first mods to our new Camry was to install a pair of yellow fog lamps to the air dam. I debated getting a brand new pair, but with heavy local use of rock salt and chip and tar repairs to the roads, a glass lense lamp down that low has a short life span. I have an old set of SEV Marchal by Valeo lamps that came off a wrecked Dodge Spirit RT. I made up new brackets and mounted both lamps to the underside of the bumper after cutting out short section of the bar that goes across the opening in the front bumper. I tinted both lights yellow with stained glass paint from the local hobby shop. Till I find and buy one of the factory rocker switch panels, I have them wired thru a relay to the parking lamps. We use them pretty much all the time, between morning fog and deer at night. I also ordered a new pair of headlamps to replace the yellowed and cloudy original lamps. The new fogs look awsome, will fine tune the aim once it gets dark out. Being plastic, I dont have to worry about rock/debris cracking them, as well as not shaking as I have found some heavier lamps with glass lenses tend to do when you dont have the best mounting surface. Pics as soon as the camera batteries recharge! Mike
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ps7adf4d3a.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ps7bbb5d2c.jpg

Patonium 08-29-2014 12:37 AM

Again, nice looking fogs. As you are a mechanic, some other people might want to know how you wired them through the parking lights relay. Interested in how you 'painted' them with tint paint. I have never heard of such thing, neat.
I agree with you in changing the headlights, they do look pretty cloudy. I know some people like to polish their lenses to get them clear again, but they seem to cloud right back up and are even worse than what they had before. I think there is a protective coating on the lenses from the factory and polishing removes this. Lights are nice and clear for a bit after polishing but then oxidation comes back with a vengeance.
Again, you are a mechanic and know what you are doing so I hope other members take note about the headlight haze issue. Seeing at night is pretty important.
I also have to admit that I haven't aimed my fog lights either since I installed them. It's cool to see into people's houses but other drivers don't care for it:)

artfull dodger 08-29-2014 07:12 PM

To wire the fogs to the parking lamp. I use your normal relay that you can get from better automotive parts stores, usualy back near the fog light kits they sell. You connect the coil part of the relay to ground on the chassis or body, and the hot or positive wire going to the steady burn side of the front parking lamp bulb. I will get the color/tracer when I pull the lights again to swap out the old headlights. The relay controls the high amp draw power for the lights themselves with a low amp draw coil. When I turn on the parking lamps, it triggers the relay. The relay then connects the lights directly to the battery. Only the positive or hot side of the fog lamp bulb circuit goes thru the relay, ground is directly to the nearest bolt that I can get to easily, in my case I used the bolts that hold the hood latch in place. Wired one light to each side of the latch. I got the yellow tint paint from Hobbylobby, or you can get it online or some RC car shops carry it for painting lights on RC cars. You can get other colors as well and it works on glass or plastic. I think I put 3 coats on these lights to get the "tone" yellow I wanted when the lights are on. To little and they look washed out when the lights are on. I prefer the yellow as I have Aspergers Syndrome, a type of high functioning autism, and due to that I have sensory issues. IE, my senses can be very easily overloaded, both sight, touch and sound. I dont like loud cars, so I love my quiet Camry, to much bright white light on the road gives me a headache, but so does to little light. So to compensate and cope with night driving, yellow fog lamps, good ones mind you not the cheap arse crap from china, allow me to safetly drive at night. By good brands I am talking about SEV Marchal (which is whats on my Camry), Cibie, Bosch, Hella(other than thier optilux line) or Carello. I have tried the stuff from the PRC and most times it causes more glare to me and offends other drivers. Many are not even proper fog light beam patterns. Fog lights should make a horizontal bar of light on a flat wall, with a sharp cut off of the beam above the horizontal line. A good fog lamp has a shield over the bulb to prevent upward glare. The choice of clear or yellow is up to the driver. Fog lamps and Driving lamps come in both colors. Cibie and Marchal are owned by the Valeo Automotive Group now. Bosch is still Bosch and so is Hella. All of those brands make lights that will fit in the air dam of most Toyota vehicles. Most are glass lenses, my set is one of the few that come in plastic. If anybody needs help locating or choosing a pair of lamps, or help installing them, feel free to shoot me a message. Cheers Mike

Patonium 08-30-2014 11:43 PM

Thanks for the informative write up on how to wire fogs to the parking lights, nicely written.
I do have a pair of the cheap Chinese ones on my car and overall, I'm satisfied with them. They are glass lenses and I'm not too keen on that but they have held up so far. If one were to break, it would be a super cheap fix and I don't get to spend a lot of money for extras on my car:( The wiring harness that did come with it was cheap and I did some modifying to it to beef it up and keep it weather proof. They also put out a good amount of light. This is all just my opinion and if I had the money to spend on genuine Toyota fog lights, I would have done that.
I have also owned a nice set of Hella's before and they were awesome!
Again, thanks for the tutorial.