Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Appearance (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/appearance-10/)
-   -   Hi, I'm new..help with 20" rim offset (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/appearance-10/hi-im-new-help-20-rim-offset-49870/)

Leelahjoi 11-25-2014 01:47 PM

Hi, I'm new..help with 20" rim offset

1 Attachment(s)
Hi. I recently bought a '08 camry se (after falling in love with my first camry, a '95). I bought her used, and she came with 20" rims. The problem is that the offset is wrong, and the tires stick out about two inches past the wheel well. :mad:I love the look of the chrome, and really do not want to go back to stock wheels. however, these rims are sticking so far out, that I cannot bear any weight in the backseat. I had a friend back there, who weighs about 200 pounds, and when i went over a bump, i shaved off part of the tire with the wheel well. I am considering a few different options, getting air blocks so I can keep the look I have, buying rims with a different offset so they won't stick out as much, or going stock (which I don't want to do). I want to consider not only the look, but also the safety and wear and tear on my car. Any advice would be greatly appreciate. I'm literally "spinning my wheels" here!:confused::confused:

Patonium 11-26-2014 01:01 AM

Those are some nice wheels and I bet they cost a few pennies as well. Depending on where you live there are a lot of actual designated wheel and tire shops that might take them in trade for something that fits better. Another option I have heard of is a bump stop so the suspension won't travel as far. I think this would have an adverse affect though on handling and ride.
I would get a wheel and tire package that fits within the wells. Sell the ones you got to recoup the expense.

toyomoho 11-26-2014 09:23 AM

How much clearance do you need? Look at the tire and determine where it rubbing the fender.

There are lift kits ($500) and air struts ($1800).

Rolling the fenders may give the clearance needed. This process rolls the inner lip of the fender up to allow more clearance. However if your tires are sticking too far this may not be enough. Check were the tires are rubbing. If going this route have a shop do this with a special tool.

Bump stops are also an option.

For tires/rims industry suggested maximums are below:
Tires
19 inch
Width 225 mm
Aspect ratio 60
Largest tire 225/40 R19

Rims
19 inch
Width 8 inch
Offset 35-45 mm

If looking for new rims the net has tire sites which will provide various tire and rim size combinations that fit your car. Try tirerack.com.

If you want to keep the current look, check into bump stops and fender rolling.

camri 05-24-2015 08:46 PM

Wheels do surely look great. In my idea your have 3 option to choose.
1. leave it as is.
2. Shave the fender and add a body kit.
3. Sell the rims and buy the correct offset.

52lea 12-04-2022 08:31 PM

buy new once get 17 it will look better then sell the 20