Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Removing In Channel Rain Guards/Vent Visors/Deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 10:21 AM
Default Removing In Channel Rain Guards/Vent Visors/Deflectors

Hello I've been so busy fixing all the things wrong with my (new to me) 2004 Camry that I'm just now getting around to things that have bugged me from when I first purchased the car. It's got Vent Visors on all 4 windows. I've read how amazing they are for sun, wind, dirt, rain, ventilation, and mileage. I'm not impressed and want them off. They're obstructing my pillar vision on turns. I've watched videos that show how the in channel visors just pop out but unfortunately on mine they seem to have been glued in. Any suggestions, links or videos on how to get them out ?

Inside View

Old 02-28-2020, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Most likely glued in. Review sites at the link below to remove vents.

https://www.google.com/search?q=remo...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 02-28-2020, 12:11 PM

Watched many of the videos and reviewed the websites earlier. What I see is how to remove visors that have been glued to the window frame (use dental floss). Or I see the how to remove pop out style visors-just push downward and inward. But mine appear glued to the channel, not the window frame. I saw them for sale so they're not too uncommon.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Perhaps double back tape was used/

If you think there is an adhesive,try heating the area with a hair drier to soften the adhesive.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:29 AM

Called AVS this morning and they confirmed all their vent visors use adhesive. Will try your hair dryer idea. They mentioned using alcohol wipes as well. A friend says just force/rip the visors out and he claims the car's rubber trim will just pull out along with the vent visor. Then just reinstall the Camry trim. Even then, I would still need to unglue the visor from the car trim-but doing this off the car does sound easier than working inside the window channel. I do not want to damage the rubber Camry window trim.

Last edited by newcam; 03-02-2020 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Might try alcohol in a spray can such as at link below. Can direct spray behind visor to get to adhesive. Electrical contact cleaner in a spray can might also work.

Amazon Amazon

https://www.zoro.com/crc-contact-cle...iABEgIeK_D_BwE

Old 03-08-2020, 04:49 PM

Thanks Joey-I got a sunny day today that warmed up the car and aimed the blow dryer on high power at the outside edge. It did work. Just time consuming. Ahead of time, AVS told me all their in-channel vent visors have adhesive so I knew what to expect. It's sticky white stuff and some of it got trapped in between the channels where the vent visor had broken off into shards. I used a putty knife (plastic) to scrape out the shards and adhesive. The other tip I was given was to work back to front. In the end, minimal damage to the Camry's window channel gasket. Windows very dirty where the vent visors once were so I'm looking forward to better visibility going forward.