Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   2007 JBL problem, only tweeters turn on (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-11/2007-jbl-problem-only-tweeters-turn-39192/)

bartonkt 08-05-2011 09:43 AM

2007 JBL problem, only tweeters turn on

Hello all, did a search for this topic and didn't find any hits so here I go. I have a 07 Camry XLE with the JBL package, and I started running into issues with every speaker in the car (except the tweeters) this spring. The symptom was I would hit the push button start, then hear what I would call a diaphragm popping sound - to my ear it sounded like the speakers getting charged up, then dropping the charge. When the audio finally started in the car I will only get sound coming from the front tweeters. Nothing from the speakers in the side doors, nothing from the rears.

First, I tried swapping out the fuse for the radio - no dice. Next, I tracked down a replacement OEM amplifier from a salvage yard. That took a month to find, put it in last night, didn't fix the problem :mad:

So here I am, trolling the forums, trying to desperately find another idea about what could be wrong. My hunch was that the head unit was fine, since the tweeters were still working and that the amp was probably in charge of all the other speakers in the car and would be the common failure point.

Does anyone have some problem solving tips on what to look into next?

Camrydrvr 09-12-2011 06:00 PM

I have the exact same symptoms/problem--I only get audio from the front tweeters, single light pop from rear speakers at power-up. I was planning on replacing the amp under the passenger seat, but if you've already tried that, not sure what's left. I read on another site that there's another radio module under the hood, but I haven't been able to verify that anywhere else.

Camrydrvr 09-12-2011 08:03 PM

Finally figured it out! There are two tension bars/support rods in the trunk that run just under the rear deck speakers. Apparently when I was shoving some luggage in the trunk I popped the lower one out of the plastic center support bracket. I didn't notice it when the trunk was open, but apparently when the trunk is closed, the metal bar was coming in contact with the leads for one of the rear speakers. Popped it back in its bracket and that fixed the problem. Hope that helps!

jsmooth 09-21-2011 08:50 AM

You know I have the same problem with my 07 Camry except on the driver side speaker doesn't work. My guys tested my speakers before swapping out my stock radio and putting in the GPS/Radio and told me that the driver side speaker didn't work. Planning on swapping out the speakers on both doors anyway for JL speakers.

ttansley 10-22-2011 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Camrydrvr (Post 66172)
Finally figured it out! There are two tension bars/support rods in the trunk that run just under the rear deck speakers. Apparently when I was shoving some luggage in the trunk I popped the lower one out of the plastic center support bracket. I didn't notice it when the trunk was open, but apparently when the trunk is closed, the metal bar was coming in contact with the leads for one of the rear speakers. Popped it back in its bracket and that fixed the problem. Hope that helps!

Thanks so much for this. The same thing happened to me. Took my 07 camry into dealer and was quoted $944 to repair by replacing the amp. Decided to hold off and I am so glad I did. Many thanks

bowmajo 03-02-2013 02:38 AM

Thanks had the same problem placed the tension bars back in place all speakers are working not

CRUPERT11 06-11-2020 02:32 PM

Where are the bars located?

Originally Posted by Camrydrvr (Post 66172)

where are the bars located ? Can you send a picture?

ttansley 06-12-2020 04:22 AM

I had similar issue check trunk torsion bars make sure not touching speakers

Check trunk torsion bars are not touching sound system components (speakers). Solved my issue.

Originally Posted by bartonkt (Post 65388)
Hello all, did a search for this topic and didn't find any hits so here I go. I have a 07 Camry XLE with the JBL package, and I started running into issues with every speaker in the car (except the tweeters) this spring. The symptom was I would hit the push button start, then hear what I would call a diaphragm popping sound - to my ear it sounded like the speakers getting charged up, then dropping the charge. When the audio finally started in the car I will only get sound coming from the front tweeters. Nothing from the speakers in the side doors, nothing from the rears.

First, I tried swapping out the fuse for the radio - no dice. Next, I tracked down a replacement OEM amplifier from a salvage yard. That took a month to find, put it in last night, didn't fix the problem :mad:

So here I am, trolling the forums, trying to desperately find another idea about what could be wrong. My hunch was that the head unit was fine, since the tweeters were still working and that the amp was probably in charge of all the other speakers in the car and would be the common failure point.

Does anyone have some problem solving tips on what to look into next?

Camrydrvr 06-13-2020 10:31 PM

I don't have the Camry anymore, but the bars are in the trunk. They’re about as thick as a pencil and run from one trunk hinge to the other, underneath the rear speakers.