Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   2012 Camry Navigation (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-11/2012-camry-navigation-40430/)

HamptonsHybridLE 03-30-2012 08:16 AM

2012 Camry Navigation

Just put a 2012 Camry GPS/Nav unit w/ touchscreen in my 2012 Camry Hybrid LE-it came out of a 2012 Camry SE. Onboard diagnostics dont work though -it just says downloading. Anyone have any ideas on this?

toyomoho 03-30-2012 10:41 AM

Might check at the Toyotanation website.

LFD159 03-31-2012 02:58 PM

No expert but I just bought my wife a 2012 Camry LE. It did not have XM radio in it and they said they would put a different head unit in for us. A week passed so I called the dealer and I was told that they could not put the head unit in that had XM radio because the wire harness was different. That sounds crazy but they ended up giving us another Camery. It seems that only the SE or above can come with the XM radio or navigation. So to answer your question, It is not a simple swap.

chrislorl 04-03-2012 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by LFD159 (Post 70837)
No expert but I just bought my wife a 2012 Camry LE. It did not have XM radio in it and they said they would put a different head unit in for us. A week passed so I called the dealer and I was told that they could not put the head unit in that had XM radio because the wire harness was different. That sounds crazy but they ended up giving us another Camry. It seems that only the SE or above can come with the XM radio or navigation. So to answer your question, It is not a simple swap.

HI Guys, I am new here but was searching information on the same subject and found this. Yes the Diagnostic CAN code is different between those two vehicles, that's why a swap won't completely work.
Have you seen this? It is an aftermarket Nav solution, XM, iGO mapping, and compatible with all models except one that comes with entune.

Welcome to Advent

This may be my choice.

HamptonsHybridLE 04-04-2012 06:24 PM

I have installed a factory GPS from an SE model.I am awaiting the GPS antennae. The factory service manual states that you must change the hard drive in the radio when changing vehicles. It shows how to do this but repeated calls to parts counters across the country and no one seems to know anything about this. They don't list seperate parts for the NAV systems. I am going to check with the maker Harman electronics and then the thing should work in full.

helenwahaha 04-07-2012 01:21 AM

suggest all of you ask a professional installer to install the aftermarket dvd,especially 2012 system,many changes than before.if you enjoy DIY,just becareful,many customer break the system with wrong connecton.just be careful.if you meet any problem just check with supplier.

chrislorl 04-07-2012 01:02 PM

Actually the installation is very easy. Start by removing the 2 12mm screws from the center console, they are under the carpet in the armrest pocket. Snap off the two lower dash panels next to the pocket (just pull straight forward. Spin the gear shift knob off, slide the center console out. There are 4 phillips screws at the bottom of the console. remove them. Pop the clock panel off the top of the dash, the front lifts out first. Then reach in through the top and push the AC vents out.
Next there are 4 10mm screws holding the radio in. (I think thats all of it.)

The 12 is different from the 11 in several ways. There is a new plug for the steering wheel controls. The L model doesn't have them so it is no issue. Also the Dash dimmer circuit is reversed from the 11. If i remeber right it is negative polarity, not positive so double check with a meter.

If you replace a LE or SE model radio with an aftermarket Pioneer or Kenwood you will loose the vehicle info (TPMS and Fuel) and settings for things like the door locks. You can get them changed at the dealer if needed.

Tokeepufit 08-05-2012 09:28 AM

Maps

I purchased a new 2012 Camry in June and am very disappointed in the navigation system's maps. The area in which I live has experienced some roadway changes within the past 6 years, much of which was completed closer to six years ago, yet this information is not on the current maps. While I get the notion that GPS maps need to be updated periodically in a car in order for the latest version, one should be able to receive a much more updated version when purchasing a new car. Has anyone else experienced the same? Is there an updated version of the maps? Is there a way to find out what version of a map you have? Lastly, any recommendations on how to solve this isssue without paying the typical 200 price tag given the nature of my concern? Thanks for any help you can provide.

full house 08-07-2012 09:08 PM

I tried that one too but didn't get details like that, I think you are running a more advance tech.