Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   Add speakers to jbl audio system (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-11/add-speakers-jbl-audio-system-39785/)

2012camry 11-28-2011 06:42 PM

Add speakers to jbl audio system

I have a 2012 camry with the entune HDD premium radio and jbl 10 speakers. Sound is great from the front seven speakers, but very lacking from the back. The single, small subwoofer is especially weak. On the rear window package shelf, one of the 6x9 speaker cutouts is missing a speaker, by design. The other side has the subwoofer. I want to replace the existing subwoofer, and pair it with a duplicate on the empty passenger side of the shelf. I would prefer not to go big at this time, and not add an amp with large subwoofers in boxes that fill the trunk. I merely want to add two speakers, remove one.

Does anyone have the jbl system schematic or specifications? I believe the current amplifier is under the passenger seat, and the pre-amp is under the driver's seat. I need to know if the current amp can handle an additional 4 ohm speaker.

Thank you for your assistance.

toyomoho 11-29-2011 10:55 AM

Ask at the Toyotanation website in the audio forum.

Also check at The Install Doctor - The Do-It-Yourself Car Stereo Installation Resource and Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LCD TV, Digital Cameras

You need to investigate if the speakers need to be added in parallel or series with the other speakers to obtain an overall impedance value the amp can handle without burning out.

Connecting extra speakers without doing some investigation as to how can damage the amp.

The link below has articles that explain this issue.

Basic Car Audio Electronics

2012camry 11-30-2011 06:27 PM

Thank you

Thank you for your input and support. I have been checking various forums. Difficult to find specific details on the 2012 jbl amplifier and the ten speaker specs. The amplifier is specifically made for toyota, and lacks the normal amp specs on the label and protective cover. The connectors are the multi-wire fitted connectors, and not the rca connectors of the commercial units. Also, I have heard of the higher level of control that jbl implements in their toyota camry amplifiers for previous years, controlling frequency filtering and amplitude adjustments. I certainly do not want to play around with it and blow the hardware.

A 2012 jbl amplifier specification sheet and schematic would be wonderful help if you see them around.

Thanks again for your reply.

timmerz 12-18-2011 01:28 PM

My '011 has (I think) 6 or 8 speakers, including 2 in the back shelf, and two tweeter-types in the dash top, and the sound is enormous...I haven't even started thinking about replacing anything yet...

full house 12-18-2011 08:17 PM

Whats the brand of those speaker? It will sounds good since you use jbl...pick good brand.

avmister 12-24-2011 02:42 PM

I have to agree... Less than happy about the sound... I did turn off the surround setting and was a bit happier... Sucks they cut the second sub.

Cajun-J 01-12-2012 04:03 PM

Usually the impedance for factory amplified speakers have higher resistance than those bought aftermarket. Measuring is quick with voltmeter measure ohms against the positive and negative post, make sure the speaker is disconnected from the circuit when measuring. If higher than 4 ohms which will be the more than likely replacement, see a qualified sound shop and get either caps or choke coils to run in line of positive speaker lead. Huge difference!!

Jpmclendon 07-29-2021 12:30 PM

Help! I have a 2002 camry xle with the jbl 6 speaker 6 disc changer with voice navig

I need someone to help me out with the cars color codes so I can replace the factory jbl head unit but keep the amp working.. My wife got ahead of me on this project and had cut one of the three male connector ends off the car! The main one! So no wiring harness adapter for me I have to track down what wire does what & toyota & these crazy color schemes.wtf?? Help please!