Add USB to JBL system with navigation? - Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:37 PM

Default Add USB to JBL system with navigation?

I'm trying to figure out if I can add a USB input (for playing music off a thumb drive) to a 2007 Camry Hybrid with JBL system and navigation. I see a few aftermarket solutions that allow you to replace a CD changer with a virtual (presumably) digital music "changer". However, some specifically say "without Nav" and others don't mention it at all. Has anyone done this without replacing the head unit? I'm specifically looking for something that can be controlled by the radio, not an external unit that plugs into the AUX input.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

The JBL does not have access for software upgrades. Not sure how you can change things to add internal controls for an external unit not designed into the system.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyomoho View Post
The JBL does not have access for software upgrades. Not sure how you can change things to add internal controls for an external unit not designed into the system.
The systems available for non-nav units make the USB drive look like a CD changer to the head unit.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

There have been hacks and devices sold to get a USB signal into the system. The second issue you stated was control of the USB device via the head unit which I have yet to find available.

Suggest calling vendors like Crutchfield and ask if it they know of these devices. Also post your requirements at the Toyotanation.com website in the audio section (not Camry) to glean input. The JBL system of this time was used in many Toyota models, not just Camry. Someone at the site may have come up with a solution.

If you come up with something, please post back.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:54 PM

Thanks