Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   Aftermarket Radio Install Tip - GEN5 - 2003 Camry utilizing factory JBL amp (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-11/aftermarket-radio-install-tip-gen5-2003-camry-utilizing-factory-jbl-amp-40261/)

highalti2d 03-01-2012 09:26 PM

Aftermarket Radio Install Tip - GEN5 - 2003 Camry utilizing factory JBL amp

2 Attachment(s)
I just completed installing an aftermarket JVC radio which utilizes the factory JBL amplifier. It sounds nice when incorporating the amp so I figured I'd post this tip about the wiring harness adapter I used for the installation. It's a Metra 70-8113 designed to be used with the factory amp. It worked great except it was missing a wire to connect the radio illumination wire to the factory harness. However, I found a workaround which allowed me to avoid cutting into the factory wiring.

In the photos, you'll notice a solid blue wire on the Metra harness which was originally marked "Power Antenna". After locating the correct "Illumination" wire (dark green) on the factory harness, I identified the corresponding pin location on the Metra harness (which was empty). After a few minutes of tedious work, I was able to carefully remove the solid blue power antenna wire and relocate it to the new "Illumination" location.

After that, plugged everything in and completed the install. Everything from amplifier turn-on to dimming with headlight functionality works great (not to mention the awesome sound when comparing to the factory head unit!). I should note that I used the four RCA connectors on the Metra harness to plug into the aftermarket head unit (RF/RR/LF/LR) RCA outputs. Very happy with the install so I hope this tip helps someone else who is thinking about a gen5 camry head unit swap. :cool:

Bullitt 2294 03-05-2012 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by highalti2d (Post 70085)
I just completed installing an aftermarket JVC radio which utilizes the factory JBL amplifier. It sounds nice when incorporating the amp so I figured I'd post this tip about the wiring harness adapter I used for the installation. It's a Metra 70-8113 designed to be used with the factory amp. It worked great except it was missing a wire to connect the radio illumination wire to the factory harness. However, I found a workaround which allowed me to avoid cutting into the factory wiring.

In the photos, you'll notice a solid blue wire on the Metra harness which was originally marked "Power Antenna". After locating the correct "Illumination" wire (dark green) on the factory harness, I identified the corresponding pin location on the Metra harness (which was empty). After a few minutes of tedious work, I was able to carefully remove the solid blue power antenna wire and relocate it to the new "Illumination" location.

After that, plugged everything in and completed the install. Everything from amplifier turn-on to dimming with headlight functionality works great (not to mention the awesome sound when comparing to the factory head unit!). I should note that I used the four RCA connectors on the Metra harness to plug into the aftermarket head unit (RF/RR/LF/LR) RCA outputs. Very happy with the install so I hope this tip helps someone else who is thinking about a gen5 camry head unit swap. :cool:

Thanks for posting!!!

Jrob01 06-20-2015 10:26 AM

Wire harness

Has two ground wires: a chassis and shield ground. Which one did you connect to the head unit ground?
Which harness wire did you connect to the head unit for the amplifier? And good move on the illumination wire. Def nice to have that function.