Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Airbag concerns for 2009 Camry installs

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Default Airbag concerns for 2009 Camry installs

I was about to start an install on a 2009 Toyota Camry, part of the install will be sound deadening material for doors, floor etc. My concern before I start is air bags. I understand the car has 7-10 airbags placed around the front drive and passenger area. I already know not to mess with wires with yellow tape. During installs sometimes one needs to run mic or ant wires up thru the window pillors etc. These areas possibly have airbags thus I would have to remove a panel which might have an airbag. Is it best to work around these areas or is someone familiar with areas (air bags locations) to stay away from?
Another concern was that airbags are installed in the sides of the seats and if I needed to remove the seats would this be a problem?

If this info is already on the forum can you please direct me to the thread? Thank you again

Thank you

Old 10-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Airbag concerns for 2009 Camry installs

To insure the airbags are safe the typically method is to remove the neg battery cable and wait for 90 seconds before working. If this is done the system is off.

Removing the seats is the same as a non-airbag seat but you will have another cable to unplug.

If you have disconnected an airbag plug to take out a seat don't apply power to the system. If the ign key is on (with battery connected) the airbag will do a diagnostic and with the plug not connected generate an error code. You want all plugs reconnected before turning the ign switch on.

The other issue in a car having an immobilizer theft system is in the past disconnecting the battery engaged the system and the result was the car would not start. Same with any radio, etc that had a built in theft protection.

Not up on the newer immobilzer systems thus suggest you check. Find out what happens if the battery is disconnected, died, etc and how to reset the system using your key, remote, etc.

The owners manual may have the location of the airbags or maybe the Toyota sales info that talkes about how safe the car is.

You can remove the bags and replace them when you are done. They will not explode, suggest applying tape to any exposed disconnected plug. The system works by applying power to a squib in the bag.

Would think removing the door panels, seats, carpet, etcs would be staight forward. I doubt if the front pillor has a bag due to lack of room. The side cover where the seat belt reels up comes off for access. Keep in mind the belts may have automatic take up systems that activates during an accident. Thus treat the reel area as a type of airbag.