Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Backup camera suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Arrow Backup camera suggestions?

I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid, with the navigation system. I've researched a bit and found that on the back of the nav unit is a plug for a backup camera, but the dealer doesn't offer a camera for my car (plus they would probably charge a fortune anyways).

I wanted to get feedback on what model would work best? Ideally I'd like a camera with at least a 150 degree wide-angle view, and hopefully night vision. I realize that I would need to perform some type of installation (including wiring, etc.) and am comfortable doing that (I previously installed satellite radio, having to run a wire from the back and remove the nav unit, etc.). I just need recommendations on which make/model would work best, and how best to "install" the camera in the back (i.e. where to drill a hole, do I even need to do that, can I run the wire inside somewhere else, how should I attach the camera to the car body, etc.).

The only thing I've found so far is the Kenwood CCD 2000....any recommendations on the part and install recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Matt

Old 07-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Might try asking at the Toyotanation website,

The Crutchfield site may have something listed.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:54 AM

i suggest you have a universal rear camera ,so that it will work smoothly.
for there are pal/ntsc ,so just a universial is ok.or you make sure what your DVDtype
is.
car DVD player, car navigation system items in motonavi store on eBay! hope this can help you.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Default Where is video input??

I also would like to add a backup camera to a 2007 Camery Hybrid Nav. Where is this video input? Is a pinout for the connector available?
Also, any chance a wire is already run to the rear?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-20-2013, 03:20 AM
Smile

[QUOTE=CCVirginia;79209]I also would like to add a backup camera to a 2007 Camery Hybrid Nav. Where is this video input? Is a pinout for the connector available?
Also, any chance a wire is already run to the rear?

Thanks in advance![/QUOT
May i know that:
1.Your navi system has the input or not?
2.You want to place a front view camera or the backview camera?
3.Also you want to modify your car CD and radio?or just add a camera
for your car?
If the first of 2 ,you can buy a DVD player built-in navi system which supports the backview camera ,then just plug your car camera to the DVD input then when you reverse you can have video on DVD.
if you no want that just buy a screen then all will be ok,the screen supports the video then you no need to do any change but install a camera.
You can ask local seller for special camera(that will be perfect for your car, or just univeral type but need to drill on your car).
thanks

Old 05-20-2013, 06:49 AM
Default Follow-up

Just following up on my post here so others that are searching will know. I was able to successfuly install a rear view camera, and it looks and works great (looks factory installed).

I ended up buying a new rear trim piece from a 2009 toyota camry hybrid, the one that has a camera "bump out" near the license plate. This allowed me to install a camera I bought off of ebay in the mount (with some creative work since it wasn't a perfect fit). I ran the wires through the trunk, along the bottom driver side of the car, up behind the dash, and fed it into the radio unit area.

Taking out the radio unit wasn't hard (lots of documentation on how to do that), and I was able to find a document that showed the pin-outs on the back for video input. Part of that doc advised to use a PC CDROM cable pin connector for both wires when connecting them to the NAV unit. This was excellent advice, and I would highly recommend it. I basically cut the end off of the camera I purchased, stripped the wire (and the same on the CDROM cable), and spliced/taped the wires together. After that I just plugged in the connectors into the NAV unit.

I had a bit of trial an error before I realized that I shouldn't plug the camera's power wire into the NAV unit. The NAV unit supplies a 9V(?) power source, but the camera I bought required 12V. After 30minutes of troubleshooting, I realized this, unplugged the power line and used the alternative method provided by the camera instructions of tapping into the reverse light (so it's powered when I'm in reverse, and with 12V). This worked perfectly for me.

One of these days I'll dig up where I got all of the parts and the documentation and post it here if it would help anybody.