Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   Factory stereo question (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-11/factory-stereo-question-52092/)

patcal096 02-18-2018 07:49 AM

Factory stereo question

Hey all,

My 97 Camry has a A11713 stereo with the 3 CD changer L4202. The CD player will not eject. Also I am only getting a slight hissing sound when I turn it on. The display comes on but no sound. My question is twofold. First, where do I start to troubleshoot this thing? I think I can assume the fuse is good & the speakers are at least partially working. Second, since this seems to be a rare stereo option, will I have any problems with the wire harness if I go aftermarket. Hopefully this all make sense. Thanks.

Pat

toyomoho 02-18-2018 10:59 AM

Is the CD player below the radio as a separate housing unit that is physically attached (with screws and bracket) to radio above? Or above and built into the radio below?

Does the radio unit have a cassette tape player also built into it?

Do you have the radio out?

The link below has some tips for trying to get the CD to eject.

https://itstillruns.com/remove-cds-t...s-7330136.html

The CD players are known for failing to eject. Might consider an after market replacement radio to avoid headaches.

As to the radio not working. Look behind the radio to determine how many wire harness plugs it has.

Toyota had two different stereo setups. One having the radio with a built-in amp, the other having a remote amp. The remote amp radio has one long plug. The built-in unit has two plugs, one longer then the other.

If the CD player is not integral to the radio (attaches with screws). It will have a cord with a round plug. This plugs into the radio from behind.

The CD player was common but there were variations in stereo's.

There are only two wiring patterns, built-in amp and remote.

There are after market wiring harnesses that will allow connecting the chassis wiring to the new stereo. However, Toyota doesn't use standard wiring colors for DC ower, etc. Obtain a wiring diagram if changing over to a non-Toyota stereo.

Post back with answers to the above.

patcal096 02-18-2018 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the stereo. I got the stuck CD changer cartridge out & the radio started playing.

Attachment 4951

toyomoho 02-19-2018 11:21 AM

Great job.

Might read up on the internet on lubing CD player cartridges. This may help the cartridge eject.

If your looking for new stereo. The stereo dimensions are standard. You have a "2 DIN" stereo because the unit takes up two "DIN" spaces, one above the other.

patcal096 02-19-2018 11:41 AM

I am going to go aftermarket. Don't really need a CD player. I want to get bluetooth & USB input. Thanks.

Pat

toyomoho 02-20-2018 02:15 PM

Great. If you need wiring info, post back.

patcal096 02-21-2018 11:30 AM

Well, I do have one more question. I noticed looking at various aftermarket head units that they say for 4 speaker systems. My stock unit is a 6 speaker unit. Will there be a correct harness adapter available or will I have to bypass the upper tweeters?

Pat

toyomoho 02-21-2018 01:03 PM

The tweets are connected to the frt speaker wiring and not a separate hookup.

An issue is the 6-speaker system used a remote amp.

If the radio has a remote amp. With radio out. Examine the current harness wiring further back from the plug(s) in search of two other harness plugs. These could be taped over/hidden but attached to the current harness wiring.

There plugs would be for a radio with built-in amp. If you find this, may be able to use these to bypass the amp. Will need an adapter wiring harness to go between harness plugs and new stereo. Crutchfield.com or ebay may have this harness plug.

The new radio should come with a plug and wiring. Then tap into the factory wiring using something like trailer harness wiring connectors for the brake and turn signals. Or cut off the plugs.

Replacing Camry radio's with aftermarket is very common.