Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   Help: Replaced factory radio - 99 Camry (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-11/help-replaced-factory-radio-99-camry-16698/)

techadvocate 01-19-2010 09:05 PM

Help: Replaced factory radio - 99 Camry

Replaced factory radio/cd player with Kenwood unit. Used adapter kit. Everything seemed to work perfect, and the new radio works. But now daytime running lights and dash (instrument) lights not work. Gotta be a wire not hooked up right, but which one? Any help much appreciated.

toyomoho 01-20-2010 08:32 AM

Do the taillights work?

See Private Message.

techadvocate 01-21-2010 09:45 PM

yes. Everything associated with the radio works. What doesn't work is (a) day time running lights, and (b) illumination for instrument panel (speed, tach, etc.) All wires are connected EXCEPT toyota's GREEN wire and WHITE-GREEN wire. These used to connect to toyota radio, but with new radio there is nothing (apparently) to connect these wires to.

toyomoho 01-22-2010 10:40 AM

Did the info provided in the Private Message help your problem?

techadvocate 01-23-2010 06:35 AM

No, but I really appreciate the response. I've downloaded wiring diagrams for the Gen 4 Camry and have studied them intently. I believe I have narrowed it down to either:

(a) the green to green-white wire connection shown on "ILLUMINATION" diagram, page 2, goes through the factory-installed radio and player to the light(s) of the radio so that the rheostat can dim (or brighten) all of the interior illumination lights. However, the green to green-white wires have no wires to connect to on the new, after-market radio I have installed. Thus, the rheostat will not dim the lights of the radio, nor does the rheostat dim ANY interior illumination light. Simply splicing the green and green-white wires does not work. (And, the daytime running lights do not work.)
or:
(b) splicing the green and green-white wires has caused a fuse to burn. Will check this next.

Bottom line is that Rheostat, illumination lights for instrument panel (speed, etc.), and daytime running lights all do not seem to work after removing factory radio and replacing it. FYI, I did purchase an adapter kit for installing the aftermarket radio, and all of the wires "lined up" perfectly. Only ones that didn't are the green and green-white wires mentioned above.

techadvocate 01-23-2010 08:13 AM

Fixed it. It was a blown fuse (doh!), which I imagine was caused by splicing the green and green-white wires together. Unspliced wires; replaced fuse (7.5A), and dash illumination lights and daytime running lights resumed working.

Thank you for all the responses and assistance. I really appreciate it, and LOVE this forum.

toyomoho 01-23-2010 12:52 PM

Great!

mrm1776 02-10-2010 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by techadvocate (Post 34063)
Fixed it. It was a blown fuse (doh!), which I imagine was caused by splicing the green and green-white wires together. Unspliced wires; replaced fuse (7.5A), and dash illumination lights and daytime running lights resumed working.

Thank you for all the responses and assistance. I really appreciate it, and LOVE this forum.

Just an FYI... In the car audio world we RARELY hook up the illumination/dimmer wires to aftermarket radios. They are known to cause problems with electrical systems. I have had to use them with certain radios (Pioneer AVIC units), because they actually do their day/night modes based off of the car illumination. But that's one of the few that I've seen actually work.