Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Need advice for installing an amp.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 04:41 AM
Default Need advice for installing an amp.

Hello, I am new to this forum. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I am going to put a JL 500/1 amp in my car. It is a 500 watt regulated amp (500 watts at 1,2, or 4 ohms). I know the rule is 1 farad for every 1000 watts, but will I need a capacitor for this amp? I heardthe amp isunderrated(possibly 600 or 700 watts)and from what I believe the alternator is 80 amps. I'm not an electrical engineer so I don't know how to deem whether or not it will draw more power than required from my alternator. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need advice for installing an amp.

Depends on how much current you draw. As a rule of thumb determine the currant draw by checking the fuse ratings of all the accessories in the car then take 60% of this load. Add in the current required for the amp (check the amps fuse rating, if 2 fuses add in each fuse).

With this is determined compare to the alternator output. If higher then the alternator rating you can have a problem.

Once the system is hooked up determine if the headlights are dimming slightly and quickly with major bass notes, periods of brief high volume or the bass sounds funny, if so a capacitor can help bridge the brief currant draw. If you end up having issues such as constantly dim lights, strange electrical problems, dead battery, poor sounding bass, etc, you will need a higher output alternator.

The JL website still has some info on this amp under their disconnected section.

mobile.jlaudio.com

Old 02-24-2008, 11:05 PM

first of all an capacitor does nothing to help an system whatsoever it just puts more strain on ur alternator and make it do more work.

2nd of all you'll be good on stock electrical dont even worry about it, becuz im runnin a kicker zx1000.1 on stock alt 80 amps on my 99 camry. im about to add a zx250.2 amp for my comps but i will do the big 3 upgrade b4 that though.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:57 PM

That is not true that a cap does not help. But the rule of 1 farad per thousand watts is not true. I am running a Jl 1000/1, 300/2, and 300/4. I have a 30 farad cap, and an optima yellow top battery. You should get probably a five farad cap and a good battery if you are running a 500/1. I can get you one if you would like.

Jason @ Autotoys
781-961-9800

Old 03-09-2008, 11:20 PM

^^^lmao....read this and your see why im right about caps...even go this forum and ask about caps there flame u. haha

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/4/452834.html

Old 03-23-2008, 06:45 PM

Caps are great for systems but on JL Audio amplifiers they are not needed due to them being regulated power supply. What the cap is going to do in your case is take take the ripples from the sound waves and smooth them out. Hope this helps. Good luck!!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:40 PM

Why not just get a "Batcap" for about the same price. I got one for $123 on caraudiodeals.com. A batcap is a combination battery/capacitor and it's 100 times more powerful than most caps and the battery is strong enough to start your car. The guy who installs for me says caps are an archaic joke that no one uses any more and batcaps are the sh-t (as in good). Being as I just got mine in the mail and haven't had it installed yet, I can't say from experience. But from what I've read and people have told me, it makes sense.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:41 PM

Why not just get a "Batcap" for about the same price. I got one for $123 on caraudiodeals.com. A batcap is a combination battery/capacitor and it's 100 times more powerful than most caps and the battery is strong enough to start your car. The guy who installs for me says caps are an archaic joke that no one uses any more and batcaps are the sh-t (as in good). Being as I just got mine in the mail and haven't had it installed yet, I can't say from experience. But from what I've read and people have told me, it makes sense.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:31 AM

And I read that one guy's opinion - and as far as caps go, I agree. But he blasts battcaps to, without any substance. Check out this discussion board and listen to more opinions, from more people, who know their sh-t, http://www.carstereo.com/forum/showthread.cfm?tid=50978 everyone on that forum talks about how battcaps are the next generation, can substitute for adding a battery, and really work.