Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   No power to my CD player HELP!!!! (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-11/no-power-my-cd-player-help-17972/)

zx1kay 02-08-2010 03:05 PM

No power to my CD player HELP!!!!

Hello everyone,

I'm helping my dad install a new cd player reciever unit in his 92' camry and I'm running into a problem. Before the new reciever was installed the factory radio slowly went out. Like it was running out of batteries. I've turned up the volume and you could barely hear anything till there is nothing. I've checked the fuses and they are fine as well. So I thought it was the factory radio that went out. Went out and purchased a new sony cd player for his car. Still there is no power going to the radio. Checked the fuses once again to see if I were to short out anything and it turns out that everything is fine. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

toyomoho 02-08-2010 10:48 PM

The Toyota wiring colors are not standard.

The www.installdr.com website would have the Toyota wiring colors.

If the stereo has a remote amp check this out plus the speakers

zx1kay 02-09-2010 09:32 AM

I just checked this morning. Everything seems in order. There is still no power to the cd player. Is there a way where I can feed direct power to the unit to see if I have a faulty cd player?

toyomoho 02-09-2010 11:03 AM

Check any of these fuses the car may have: Radio, Cig/Radio, Dome.

If you have the CD players wiring diagram you can connect +12V to power wire and -12 to to the ground wire. Don't run to unit too long without speakers connected as this may damage the output transistors.

Are you sure the stereo does not have a remote amp?

Use a volt meter to check for 12V power at chassis wiring.

Gray should be +12V from the ign switch.
Blue/Yellow stripe is power from the Battery via Dome fuse (powers radio memory).
Black is ground on stereos with no remote amp.
Brown is ground on stereos with remote amp.

zx1kay 02-09-2010 12:16 PM

Remote Amp?...... Are you referring to the factory amp? If so it does a factory amp. Going through the directions from the link you gave me ( thanks for that) it mentions that the amp is bypassed by the harness adaptors that I've purchased to wire to the aftermarket cd player. Which I thought was essentially a plug and play deal. I plugged in the aftermarket harness adaptor to the two factory blue harnesses on the right side. I've also viewed the color code and yes it is wired to the factory brown ground wire. I've gone through the fuses of the vehicle and everything seems to be fine. No blown fuses. Is there any hard wiring that needs to be done?...

Also I do appreciate all the help you've provided me so far.

toyomoho 02-09-2010 07:11 PM

Yes if you use the 2-plugs in the chassis wiring this should work with a stereo having a built-in amp.

Use a voltmeter to check for 12V DC power at the Gray (with ign on) and Blue/Yel stripe (Dome light power)? Check for power between the above wires and Black wire.

If you have a Harbor Freight store near by they sell cheap meters at very low cost.

zx1kay 02-10-2010 03:43 PM

Well good news. I got it working. I had my buddy stop with his volt meter. Turns out that the constant power was barely getting any voltage at all. It read about 6.2v. Then I got really lazy and just tapped the power directly from the battery and ran it through the fire wall. I know..... probably not the right way, he wanted it working. When we both have time I'll find a better power source to tap it from. Again all the help you've provided me help a lot. Thank you.