Detailing Discuss detailing your Camry within.

Washed, Clayed, And Polished My New Camry

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 02:40 PM
Default Washed, Clayed, And Polished My New Camry

I did it over 2 days, but it was worth the work. Yesterday I washed and clay barred it. This morning I got up early and gave it a good going over with Nu-Finish. It was amazing how much crap that clay bar pulled out of the paint of a brand new vehicle! I bought the Maguire's Clay Bar Kit. It comes with 2 Clay Bars, which is good because halfway through the job I dropped it on the ground. (Once the clay hits the ground it's trash). I finished up with the 2nd bar.

This morning after the Nu-Finish treatment the clear coat looks like liquid glass. A clean cloth just glides right over it. The wheels are a bit of a pain because they have so many spokes, nooks, and crannies. But once they're clean, they look like a million bucks! I really like Nu-Finish the best, and I've tried most everything at one time or another. It really lasts out here in the harsh Arizona Sun. In between I use Maguire's Wash & Wax. You just spray it on a wet car after you're done washing after the final rinse. Then dry normally. It keeps the paint nice and glossy.

On the black plastic I just used Armor All Ultra Shine. It gives it just enough gloss without looking cheap. For tire shine I used the Armor All Outlast Tire Glaze in the aerosol can. I made cardboard cutouts to protect the wheels from any overspray. The Outlast Tire Glaze gives the best shine of any tire shine product I've ever used. And it lasts through several washes. You have to let the car sit after you apply it however. It takes a while to set up. But once it does it is not tacky like so many other tire shine products are. I hate that because dust sticks to it like mad. So overall my first detailing job on my new Camry was a success. A lot of work for my 65 year old butt. But it was worth it. The car really looks sharp!

Old 04-26-2018, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

What a great post, thanks!!

I also use Maguire's products on vinyl. It has done a good job in preventing sun damage.

Old 04-27-2018, 05:29 AM

I found with the Nu-Finish the liquid is easier to apply more evenly than the paste in the can. It's still very thick. But you can control the application better, so you just end up with a light haze when it dries, after you work it into the clear coat in small, circular motions. Then it buffs off beautifully with very little effort. I buy those terrycloth / microfiber foam filled applicator pads, and just toss them when I'm through. Wal-Mart sells a 8 pack for just a few bucks. For polishing I buy the Microfiber towels from Harbor Freight. They're super soft, and very inexpensive. The come in assorted sizes and colors. I like the darker colors because I can tell when I'm getting too much dried polish on them. Then I just grab a fresh one.

Old 02-23-2024, 05:19 AM

Maguire's products provide complete protection against UVA and UVB radiation, guaranteeing that consumers are protected from the negative consequences of extended sun exposure.