Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/detailing-21/)
-   -   Wash Foamer (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/detailing-21/wash-foamer-39874/)

bravozulu 12-20-2011 07:31 PM

Wash Foamer

I've been doing research into car care since my '94 Coupe was painted in September. Folks with fancy cars, and better detailers, use high tech soaps, microfiber mitts and towels, and also a thing called a foamer. The cheap foamers attach to a garden hose. Better models attach to a pressure washer.

In any case, I used my new $29 for the first time today. Here is the difference, as I see it. My car is white/white/white, and the first time I washed with a bucket little yellow spots remained on the surface after drying. Could be bug juice, or tree sap. Today, the foamer removed all of them. I'm using the same soap, so I guess the difference is that the foam sticks to the surface, so the detergent can work longer on surface contaminants.

The car just sparkles. I get my supplies from Autogeeks and Griot's Garage online.

toyomoho 12-21-2011 12:37 PM

Great info.

From experience the yellow stuff may be sap. I use a car cover if under evergreen trees. Saves a lot of scrubbing effort.

Perhaps a good coat of wax would make cleaning easier but check with the painter to make sure it is now OK to wax.

Might suggest taking a hose to wheel wells and under the chassis to get off any road deicers if you county uses them. Some are more prone to cause rust then others.

bravozulu 12-21-2011 10:58 PM

No wax for me. The paint needs a light polishing with a buffer, and then I'll use an Acrylic Sealer. That's the new hot ticket. Greater UV protection than wax, and one application last 6 months.

My friend from my bicycle club manages the repair shop at Ferrari of Beverly Hills . He suggested the sealer. And it's lots easier to apply than wax. My paint manufacturer said to wait 90 days to buff or coat the finish. Only some rainy weather has put that off. Soon.

In the mountain areas where it snows, communities don't bother salting the roads.

toyomoho 12-22-2011 09:11 AM

Was acrylic paint used?

Any brand names on the sealer?

Would make sense about using no salt.

bravozulu 12-22-2011 09:40 AM

I'm not sure on the paint type. I know it wasn't water base. Probably acrylic.

Autogeeks sell a big assortment of Acrylic Sealers. I believe I ordered either Pinnacle or Wolfritz. Both German and on the Autogeek forums, users seem to prefer those two brands. Menzerna makes a line of products used at the Mercedes factories.

Overall on detailing products Meguire's seem to come out on top. The market for car aftermarket products is so large in North America, a few of those German brands opened manufacturing plants here, so the prices are reasonable.

toyomoho 12-22-2011 10:18 AM

Acrylic would make sense.

Did you buy a kit?

I use Mequire's Vinyl protection products, seem to work OK.

bravozulu 12-22-2011 04:38 PM

No. No kits. I cherry picked and lurked on forums to see what pro detailers preferred. In retrospect I would have saved money with kits instead of cherry picking products.

First I got a bucket, mitts and microfiber towels from Griot's Garage. Along with their soap. Yesterday I placed a much bigger order with Autogeeks. With products from several makers.

Both companies offer a package that includes most of what you need for about $100 and affords you a 25% saving or more. I'm impressed with the Griot's shampoo, but I'm switching to a product by Detailer's Pro called Extreme Foam. If you live in an area with high mineral content in the city water and get those awful white spots, Meguire's 'new era' shampoo ( not sure of the product series name) is great to use with hard water.

Meguire's all purpose cleaner is the positive best for everything from tires, to carpets, to vinyl dashboards and upholstery. I think it's called Meguire's 203.

full house 12-22-2011 08:29 PM

why choose acrylic? I didn't try it because one of my friend won't advice me to do not sure why...

bravozulu 12-22-2011 09:03 PM

Are you referring to Acrylic Paint or Acrylic Sealer?

One-Day Paint chose the paint. Not having used sealers, I can't say much. I wasn't aware there was another type. From what I've read on forums, the Acrylic is durable and easy to apply.

Miss Lou and Lau 12-25-2011 10:19 AM

I've heard about acrylic sealers, but have yet to try it.

I swear by Liquid Glass. Even on my wheels... the stuff doesn't come off. I don't have to wax either, but I still do. (New England winters are brutal, so I'm game for extra protection)!

Also, I tried a foamer but wasn't impressed. I'm an old school kinda gal and swear by my Sea Sponge. 50 Bucks for no swirls is worth it. ;)