Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   1993 and 2000 Camry Fixing Oil Pump Seal leak (Do I have to remove the oil Strainer?) (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/1993-2000-camry-fixing-oil-pump-seal-leak-do-i-have-remove-oil-strainer-45242/)

umdaman 05-17-2013 10:34 AM

1993 and 2000 Camry Fixing Oil Pump Seal leak (Do I have to remove the oil Strainer?)

I have a 4cyl 1993 and 200 Camry . Both have Oil leaks. The 2000 just started leaking a month ago and is really bad. I think it is coming from the Oil Pump area.

I have a question about fixing these seals. The instructions I have for both my 1993 and 2000 say I have to remove the Oil pan and Oil Strainer. Last year when I was having my transmission rebuilt, I asked my buddy who was pulling the transmission about my oil leaks. He mentioned about the Oil pump seal and also mentioned about removing the oil pan and Oil strainer.

I just found a video on youtube for doing this job, and they never mentioned about removing the Oil Strainer. So I'm a bit confused. I have already done my timing belt on my 1993, and it was easy. So I think if I don't have to remove the oil pan AGAIN, since I just removed it to replace the gasket about 3 weeks ago, that this job would be easy to do.

Thanks for any input on this job.

toyomoho 05-17-2013 08:34 PM

The actual pump bolts to a large housing that itself bolts to the engine and pan.

See link below:

More Information for SEALED POWER 22441985

In the photo the pump is the area where the sprocket is. The pump can be removed from its housing.

If want to replace the pump you may need to buy the complete assy as shown in the photo as the pump itself may not be available alone. This requires the work your buddy stated.

However if the pump is leaking, it can be removed from the housing and taken apart to replace the seals which are available. In this case only the pump need be removed, the large housing still remains bolted to the engine.

umdaman 05-20-2013 09:06 AM

Ok. Yea I only have to replace the Seal on the cover. Now waiting for parts to come. I hope this is all that is wrong with my 1993. My 1993 has had a slow leak for years! I'm now motivated to fix that one next.

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 79190)
The actual pump bolts to a large housing that itself bolts to the engine and pan.

See link below:

In the photo the pump is the area where the sprocket is. The pump can be removed from its housing.

If want to replace the pump you may need to buy the complete assy as shown in the photo as the pump itself may not be available alone. This requires the work your buddy stated.

However if the pump is leaking, it can be removed from the housing and taken apart to replace the seals which are available. In this case only the pump need be removed, the large housing still remains bolted to the engine.

umdaman 05-21-2013 09:36 AM

Also does that router piece need to be inserted back in any special position? Because I noticed an Triangle on one of the legs on the Driven Rotor that was still inside the hole. I never removed that part. Then I see a triangle also on the router part. I just put it in back in place and turned it into position. It seems to turn fine. Would it not turn fine if it was not put back correctly?

Does the leg on the Drive Rotor with the triangle need to go into any specific Slot on the Driven Rotor?

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 79190)

See link below:

full house 05-21-2013 09:18 PM

most leak problem were cause by oil pump, maybe there are some thing you can put in it to stop the leak.