Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   1993 camry missing help please (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/1993-camry-missing-help-please-40941/)

surpera1 08-17-2012 11:15 AM

1993 camry missing help please

intermittent miss / new plugs , wires , cap , rotor , pcv valve , fuel pump , fuel filter , air filter , butterfly air intake valve cleaned with carb cleaner jet spray , seafoam ran through a tank of gas , new timing belt , belts , hoses , water pump , coolant and new distributor . timed correctly at 10 dbtdc / doesnt like new distributor and is throwing codes / check engine that is . doesnt start up like it used to . sometimes starts just fine . mostlt runs fine / but sometimes stumbles like its gonna die / the ignition coil in that distributor is a couple years old / any ideas ? thanks for any help ! 228000 miles /

surpera1 08-17-2012 04:05 PM

well - i ordered a new ignition coil for it - if that doesnt do it im gonna start on sensors

surpera1 08-18-2012 08:21 AM

dont everyone all respond at once - sheesh

toyomoho 08-18-2012 10:41 AM

4 cylinder engine?

There ARE or are NOT trouble codes? If codes what are they?

The coil referenced in the first post is located inside the replacement distributor. As such when you changed the distributor you also changed the coil?

surpera1 08-22-2012 07:41 AM

i havent been able to get the codes read yet
its an obd 1
yeah - the coil is a couple years old
i have a new one on the way
after that im gonna start replacing sensors
there is a cool junkyard up the road
$1 to get in and u pull it
they have about 4 or 5 camrys like mine with the 2.2
4 cyl engine
man - its always been so reliable till now
im gonna get it running good again
thanks for the reply
any input is much appreciated !

toyomoho 08-22-2012 09:52 AM

If a 4 cylinder the codes can be readout without reader. Suggest you do this rather then guess at the problem area.

Inside the engine compartment look on the drivers or passengers side strut tower for a small plastic box. Inside the box are electrical terminals.

With ign switch on use wire or a bent paper clip to connect the TE1 and E1 terminals. The check engine light will begin to blink.

If a code(s) is stored the check light will flash out a two numeral code, one numeral at a time. If more then one code is stored they will output from lowest code number to highest.

One any code(s) is flashed, it will repeat.

Example: 1 flash, pause, 2 flashes, longer pause = code 12.

If no codes are stored the light will flash at a steady rate.

Output the code(s) then do an internet search on the code(s) number and word Toyota.

surpera1 08-23-2012 11:33 PM

i finally got it / the old ignition coil had a huge crack in it / put a new coil in and reinstalled my old distributor and timed it up / runs great and no check engine light / wont get me like that again / those coils must be prone to failure / sheesh / the joys os misdiagnosing a problem right guys ?

toyomoho 08-24-2012 10:46 AM

Great job!

The coil is prone cracking as you state.

surpera1 09-16-2012 11:34 PM

i have recently been told to apply dielectric grease to the back of the ignition coil and that this extends the life of it / how i just dont know / but i guess next time i will do it