DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

1996 Camry 2.2 Distributor Harness Plug Connector Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Default 1996 Camry 2.2 Distributor Harness Plug Connector Help

Hi All, I just replaced the distributor on my daughter's 96 Camry LE 2.2. In the process I manage to break the locking mechanism on the two wire connector which mates with the connector on the distributor. The dealer tells me I need to replace the harness as the connector is not available separately. They also told me there is no part number available for the connector. I have the 1996 Toyota Electrical Wiring Diagram manual and this connector is shown as D2 Black on page 75. BTW this distributor is used only on the 96 Camry, 96-99 Celica, and 96-97 RAV4. I do not know if the connector/plug is applicable to other models. Any help in tracking down a connector, connector part number or any assistance would be sincerely appreciated. It's working and running now but my fear is that it might eventually work it's way loose and / or if someone else is working on it it could be inadvertently disconnected. The distributor end can be viewed at this link.
WAI World Power Systems DST74427 New Distributor | eBay
I need the harness end. Thanks. Regards,
Bill

Old 10-12-2011, 08:52 PM

I guess it won't, that one looks perfect on my part.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

If you want to replace the connector your best bet may be going to an auto salvage yard, finding the connector, cutting it off the wiring harness and installing it on your car.

Typically these connectors are designed to have the metal electrical prongs slide into the back of the body. The wire being connected to the prong during harness fabrication before it is slide into the body. The prong locks into place with a spring type clip built into the prong. By pushing a small diameter pin into the back of the body on the side of the clip, the clip can be disengaged from the body and pulled out.

Thus no need to cut the wires, the prongs can then be installed in the replacement body.

If the damaged connector cannot be repaired, cut it off and splice in the replacement using wire crimp type connectors available hardware and many full line department stores.

The easier fix is to use a Tie-Wrap also called zip tie, see link below. Hardware stores carry these in the electrical department and maybe department stores.

Tiewraps.com USA Made Zip Ties

Find one of the smaller diameter size. Reconnect the plug, run the zip tie between the two wires of each plug and zip it up. If there are no exposed wires on the distributor find a zip tie that can wrap around something firm on the distributor while pulling in the harness connector. This fix works very well, suggest you try it first.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Default 1996 Camry 2.2 Distributor Harness Plug Connector Help

Hi Toyomoho, Thanks for the advice. I have been calling local junk yards but no luck yet. I"m going to try the u-pic places next. Problem is they don't have an inventory and they charge admission just to look and price the item when you bring it to them. There are a couple in the same area.
The other thing which is a pain is the only year this distributor was used on the Camry is 1996. It was also used on late 90s Rav4s and Celicas but the selection is still very limited.

I was hoping someone could get a part number for the connector and I could buy one new from whoever sells them to Toyota. So I'm still hoping someone out there might see this and provide a part number

As an aside I hunted high and low for the distributor and found the best price on Ebay ($147) but bought it on Amazon ($154) because of their more liberal return policy. Autozone, advance auto parts, etc wanted in excess of $300 for one. I also found a company in Canada that sells seal replacement kits.
Aside number 2 (I have a lot) is my other daughter has a 2000 Solara and the drivers window quit going up and down yesterday (good news is it was up at the time and her AC works. The switch feels kind of sticky and I'm wondering the likelyhood of it being bad vs the regulator / motor?
Thanks again for the help. I will update this thread with solutions when issues are resolved.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Default The Solution and a Good Contact for Camry Electrical Harness Repair Rewire

Well the good news is I found the plug / connector in a U Pic junkyard which is lucky as it's only used on one model year Camry, 1996. Even better they only charged me $2.00 if you can believe that. The only problem was the cars are lined up in rows in random order. The only organization was foreign in the front and domestic in the back.
One other thing I would add is I found an excellent resource for this type of issue. As I was on my way home from the junkyard, Cam at Tweak'd Performance called me with an alternate solution. I'd email'd him at the contact link at the site below a couple days ago. If you are doing any Toyota Engine swaps or need a random connector not available from the dealer he can probably get it. They sell individual connectors and custom harnesses and their service is fast and friendly.

Phoenix Tuning Online Store

Old 10-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Great job.

Thanks for the tip on harness plug source!