DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

99 Camry automatic must put in N to start?

Old 09-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Default 99 Camry automatic must put in N to start?

In the morning my Camry will usually not start (Not even a click) while in park (sloped driveway). However, if I put it in Neutral or put it in Neutral and then push it back into park, it will usually start. This is only an intermittent problem. Sometimes it starts in Park. Sometimes not. Any help will be appreciated.

Bob57

Old 09-19-2009, 04:24 PM

there is a sensor for automatics that starts your car in park. Check your sensor. Make sure you push your shifter all the way up on park. sometimes there's a little play in it usually on older used cars and you have to push it all the way up.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:16 AM

Thanks Captain,
After some searching on the internet yesterday, I found several others with a similar problem and the advice given was to adjust or clean the neutral safety switch. After further digging I found out that this is located on the transmission under the hood. I am guessing that this is the sensor that you are referring to. It doesn't look like something that is easy to access from under the hood -better if the car was on a lift.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:37 PM

well if you need a new one i think i might still have mine. I had to get rid of it when I put the engine in my 5speed MR2. Ill look around to see if i find it. Try cleaning it if not ill give it to you for free just pay shipping

Old 09-22-2009, 06:43 PM

That's very generous of you Captain, but I will try cleaning it and adjusting it slightly first as you suggest. If that doesn't work, I will certainly let you know and will be happy to provide you shipping if you can find it! Thanks!

Bob

Old 10-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Default 99 Camry Automatic must be put in N to start?

Also, pull your steering wheel all the way to the left, to lock it, before you start it. It's a remote possibility, but I just wanted to throw it out there.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by matt007
Also, pull your steering wheel all the way to the left, to lock it, before you start it. It's a remote possibility, but I just wanted to throw it out there.
what ?

why??

Old 10-24-2009, 07:10 AM

i have this problem only sometimes the car won't wanna start at all. Can someone post a pic of the sensor? I think mine's just loose.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:43 AM

Hello,
If you look at the radiator side of the transmission you will see the switch in the diagram below with the shift cable attached and the harness with the connector to the switch. Here is a view of the transmission from the front side

You can see the switch at the end of the shift cable just above the oilpan

View Full Image

Old 10-26-2009, 10:38 PM

It is likely the shift position sensor on the transmission. It is a sealed unit so there is no cleaning it. There is an adjustment for it - so there's a possibility that might be all it needs. If the sensor thinks you are in R (due to a slight misadjustment) it will NOT allow the engine to crank- try adjusting it and see if you get better results. Good luck!

JJ

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 Camry automatic must put in N to start?