Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   2000 LE passenger side window only rolls down (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/2000-le-passenger-side-window-only-rolls-down-52325/)

jj6401 06-12-2018 08:32 PM

2000 LE passenger side window only rolls down

Wracking my brain here, hoping you all can help. Bought this 2000 Camry LE the other day to drive back and forth to work. Noticed the passenger side window wasn't work. So i took the switch out, tried applying power without the switch, window rolls up and down fine. Bad switch right? Took the switch apart and sure enough, 2 of the poles are scorched. Easy fix, order a switch from Amazon, popped it in, same thing. Window will roll down fine with the switch but not up. It would make more sense to me if i couldn't unplug the switch, apply power and ground to the connector with some test leads, and the window motor work fine. Any ideas? I tried wiggling the wire loom at the door thinking there might have been a break there, but no dice. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

toyomoho 06-13-2018 12:02 AM

Does the window work with either the drivers door or passenger door switch?

jj6401 06-13-2018 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 98310)
Does the window work with either the drivers door or passenger door switch?

It does not. The only way i can get the motor to move is by using a couple of wires and reverse the polarity

toyomoho 06-13-2018 11:01 AM

Most likely a break in the wiring, typically the wiring gaping the drivers door to chassis. This breakage due to constant wire flexing with door usage.

The door window switch should have 3 wires. Green/white, red/blue and blue.

The green/white and red/blue wires run from the drivers door switch to the passenger door switch.

When using the drivers switch, the passengers door does nothing but act as a conduit for +12v and -12v power to run to the motor wires.

The drivers door switch reverses polarity to reverse motor direction.

Blue should be hot (+12v) when ign switch is turned on to enable window operation. This wire powers the passenger door direct rather then through the drivers door switch. This allows independent operation via either drivers or passengers door switch.

Passengers door switch operation does two things at once.

It connects the purple hot wire to the appropriate wire of the motor to achieve the desired rotation.

Then depending on which motor wire the hot was connects to.
It connects the other motor wire to either the green/white or red/blue to act as the return for -12v.

The actually grounding of any -12v wires is done at the drivers switch.

If neither window switch works and the purple wire has +12v. It appears both green/white and red/blue are broken.

jj6401 06-13-2018 02:09 PM

Alright. I'll grab a meter and test all that and report back. I tried to wiggle around the wire looms at the door but didn't have any luck getting a reaction.

Thanks for the help!