DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Gen 5 04 Power Seat Control Switch Fail

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 10:21 AM
Default Gen 5 04 Power Seat Control Switch Fail

Hello All, Driver's switch good except horizontal back. So... family member moved it forward last year and I couldn't drive. I pierced two input wires to the switch with tiny nails and "jumped" the circuit bypassing the switch and moved the seat back. Worked and all was good, until it was recently moved back. I tried same process and had spark when jumping.

Problem now is" Now no controls work.
1. Under dash 30 AMP fuse "looks" OK but I can't figure how to get to it to remove and check. ?? Door locks work.
2. Power wire insulation to control switch is burnt some but I see wire threads. Can that section be spliced/repaired ??
3. Going to pick up used control switch from 05 at junk lot..

Thank you very much. In an emergency I can not drive this car.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

This fuse is the power seat fuse?

High amp fuses are bolted to the wiring behind the fuse box. The wiring has eyelets, the fuse has tangs with bolt holes. You need to access behind the fuse box to unbolt.

The internet would have video's on removing these fuses.

The fuses are readily available at auto parts stores, dealer, internet, etc.

Power to this fuse also goes to the power windows. If no seat controls are responding but the power windows work. It appears this fuse is blown.

Don't know if the wiring can be repaired as have not examined it. Not sure what you are talking about. A photo would help.

If it helps. The end terminals for the wires slide into and lock in the harness plug. These terminals can be removed by pressing down on the spring clip that holds them in. The internet has video's on how to remove wiring end terminals from plugs.

The wire terminals once free of the plug may allow easier repair of the insulation. Worse case, it may be possible to cover the damaged area with epoxy used as insulation. Make sure the damage wires are keep separate as the epoxy drys.

If your at the junk lot and pulling the switch. Include whatever section of damage wiring (plus any plugs) your car has, with the switch. Then cut out the damaged section of (with plug) and splice the replacement wiring to it.

If you really need to drive the car. Can remove the seat and find the motor that controls what you need to adjust. Then disconnect it from the wiring harness and apply the correct polarity of 12V to the plug to activate the motor.

Take note if the seat has airbags. If so, DON'T turn on the ign key with the airbag wiring disconnected or you will set a trouble code. This wiring is typically yellow.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:34 PM

Hello TOYOMOHO, I don't understand your comment. If the seat and windows use the same fuse, then why would the fuse be bad but the windows work Okay? """Power to this fuse also goes to the power windows. If no seat controls are responding but the power windows work. It appears this fuse is blown.""" Thank you!

Old 01-15-2018, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

You are trying to determine if power is getting to the fuse itself.

The power to this fuse splits off BEFORE the fuse. One leg goes to power the windows. If the windows work, would assume the fuse is getting power.

If the seat doesn't work yet the fuse is assumed to be getting power. The fuse appears to be the issue.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:33 AM

Okay, understand. I was thinking the power split AFTER the fuse. Can I test with a multi meter for power to the fuse? There is a Fuse compartment under left dash. I can't tell if fuse is bad by looking. Would I have to drop the left side dash to Test fuse input power? and to replace if needed? Thank you again!!

Old 01-16-2018, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

The SEAT fuse should always be powered by the battery. This fuse is on the same bus as the STOP fuse. Check stop lights. If they work would assume power is getting to the SEAT fuse.

Then check for battery power to the seat control. There should be battery voltage at blue/orange on seat harness plug.

When poking around under seat. If the seat has airbags (typically yellow wires). Don't unplug them and then turn on ign switch or the airbag system will set a trouble code.

The seat is held in by 1 bolt each at the end of the seat track. These bolts have plastic cover over them.

If needing gain access under the fuse panel to replace the fuse. You will need remove those portions of the dash to so.