Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   2001 reverse wire near the front of car location and color (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/2001-reverse-wire-near-front-car-location-color-51983/)

MikeHin 12-23-2017 09:33 AM

2001 reverse wire near the front of car location and color

Hello, I have a 2001 toyota camry ce. I am trying to install the reverse signal wire that comes of my pionert avh4400bh headunit. I understand I need to tap into the reverse bulb lights in the rear to give the reverse camera power. ( I haven' t started this yet so any help is appreciated. )
. There is a purple wire labeled reverse on the head unit so when the car goes into reverse this will let the receiver know to put the camera display on. Could anyone help with the location and color please. Thank you.

toyomoho 12-23-2017 11:48 AM

The wiring harness for the trunk runs down the drivers side kick panel.

Can tap off the back up light switch (stick shift) or park/neutral switch (auto).

Or wire going to the reverse indicator bulb on dash.

All wires colors are Red/Black.

There may be more then one wire. The wire will be +12V when the shifter is in R.

MikeHin 12-23-2017 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 96905)

Can tap off the back up light switch (stick shift) or park/neutral switch (auto).

There may be more then one wire. The wire will be +12V when the shifter is in R.

OK so the color red/black will be the only wirea for the reverse? ( Unless of course , someone ran a wire red/black for something. I get that. ) But in general all the red with black stripe is for the reverse? This is an automatic. Sorry

toyomoho 12-23-2017 06:07 PM

Most likely no. The correct Red/Black wire have 12V when the trans is in R.

MikeHin 12-23-2017 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 96916)

OK. I appreciate the help. It' 's enough info for me to think I can , I think I can..... I think I can.... etc.

MikeHin 12-24-2017 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 96916)

OK. I think the bulbs for the reverse on this camry are the ones that are on either side of the license plate correct?
They did have the red/black and white wires going to those lights.
I am kind of on a time crunch because I am trying to surprise my gf for her bday next month and really have no time to check with voltage meters. So any help with where the wires go from there would help me tremendously. I snuck the car today but really got lucky. I looked for those same wires but didnt see any red/black wires running down to where the rest of the bulk of wired go along the drivers side floor board. Could they turn off somewhere? Or maybe run along the top of the roof liner?

toyomoho 12-24-2017 02:26 PM

Try this.

Look under the passengers side of dash (below glove box) for a wiring harness plug having 12 pins in 2 rows of 6. Look for a plug having two Red/Black wires next to each other on the retaining clip side of the plug.

MikeHin 01-09-2018 06:43 AM

Wiring colors for reverse lights

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 96905)

. So I have hooked up my head unit. No issues. I ran my cabling for the camera to the rear reverse lights to the head unit. I plugged in the video to the headunit. I ran an extra wire for the reverse portion as well. (So when in reverse the camera would turn on automtically. ) I ran the power from the camera to the reverse bulb. I believe the red/black is the 12v reverse trigger and the white is ground? So I hooked up the power from the camera to the red/black and the negative of the camera to the white. I then spliced the extra reverse trigger wire that i ran into the red black wire. Does this seem correct? Or do I need to find a different power or ground source?

toyomoho 01-09-2018 11:02 AM

Do you have wiring diagrams for the stereo and camera?

MikeHin 01-09-2018 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 97049)
Do you have wiring diagrams for the stereo and camera?

no. I can' one on the great world of Web either.