DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

2001 reverse wire near the front of car location and color

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Some "experts" state to make sure the camera power and ground are at the same source. This to avoid voltage fluctuations. But others state taking the power from the backup light source is OK.

The camera would have a trigger wire typically blue or green. Plus the power wires.

The head unit may or may not have trigger wire. Its possible for monitor to sense the video signal to turn it on.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Some "experts" state to make sure the camera power and ground are at the same source. This to avoid voltage fluctuations. But others state taking the power from the backup light source is OK.

The camera would have a trigger wire typically blue or green. Plus the power wires.

The head unit may or may not have trigger wire. Its possible for monitor to sense the video signal to turn it on.
The esky camera came with an audio cable with the built in trip reverse wire. I didnt use this. I instead ran a 2 wire (although only using one of them for the reverse.) I hooked that up to the purple reverse trip wire on the pioneer head units harness. This actually works. For some reason the camera is not powering up. That is why I'm looking for help. A wiring diagram would also be beneficial. Hope this clears my needs up better. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Wiring diagrams are illusive.

Other then the audio/video cables with assume RCA plugs. The camera has exactly what wires and what color are these?

Are you sure the cameras is not powering up or is the head unit not displaying the video.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:03 PM

Wiring diagrams are illusive.

Other then the audio/video cables with assume RCA plugs. The camera has exactly what wires and what color are these?

Are you sure the cameras is not powering up or is the head unit not displaying the video.
Could be either one being the problem. I ordered amother oNE to rule out the camera or wires being the fault. I am trying to rule out if my wiring is correct and it can be wired with the black red wire being positive and the white black wire being a ground. If this is OK to wire this way then I'm sure the problem lies with the components.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Would assume red/black wire is power. White ground and if a third blue wire one this is the trigger wire.

Determine if the head unit needs to be set to receive a signal from the camera.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:47 PM

Would assume red/black wire is power. White ground and if a third blue wire one this is the trigger wire.

Determine if the head unit needs to be set to receive a signal from the camera.
Well received the new camera from Amazon. Hooked it up and it worked flawlessly. It wasn' t the wiring after all. Thx for sticking with me. Who ever needs help in the future.
. This is an easy as s#!t /pie wiring job like I thought it would be since its an older car. I ran a two wire to the rear just in case something happens in the future. The rear bulb is the 2 lights on either side of the license plate. To access this you need to remove the back cover. (Few Plastic clips).
I drilled a hole big enough for he wiring, placed a small grommet on it. And used silicon to cover it so no water could enter the vehicle. I placef the camera above the center of the license plate. It looks really good there. The positive wire and reverse trip wire is the black/red wire on my car. The ground is the white /black. Connect the camera this way and you shouldnt have a wiring problem. I used small zip ties to secure it. Run the av cable to the aftermarket head unit or rear view mirror. All done.
THX FOR ALL THAT HELPED.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Great job!

Thanks for posting back with results.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:48 AM

Great job!

Thanks for posting back with results.
yeah no problem. I get super annoyed when someone asks a question and never replies when/if and how they got it to work.