DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

2001 Toyota Camry

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 01:06 PM
Default 2001 Toyota Camry

I bought a 2001 Toyota Camry that has started to have a few issues and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think is the issue. First issue when we turn the steering wheel I hear a squeaking noise at the steering wheel as we turn. No other issues while turning just the noise. Second issue is we have an oil leak that is down by the front passenger tire. It’s behind the tire kind of. It dumps out quite a bit. Last issue is when we turn on the fan for the AC/Heater on high it sounds like the fan blades are hitting something. Only happens when it’s on high. Any help pin pointing these issues down would be very appropriate.

Old 09-02-2018, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

What engine type 4-cylinder or V6?

Is the leak engine oil, trans or PS fluid? Compare to the fluid on the dipsticks.

Place cardboard, etc under the oil leak area. Start engine and determine if there is a leak occurs when engine is running.

Squeaking noise at steering wheel inside car?

Engine off, rotate fans by hand and listen for noise and feel for the fan hitting something.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:17 PM

I had a friend look at what is on my driveway and it is engine oil. We have to put oil in often. It leaks behind the passenger side wheel. I think it is only leaking when we have the car running.

The squeaking noise is inside the car in the steering wheel only when we turn the wheel. There is no problem turning it though.

I will watch a YouTube so that I can check the ac/heater fan.

Originally Posted by toyomoho
What engine type 4-cylinder or V6?

Is the leak engine oil, trans or PS fluid? Compare to the fluid on the dipsticks.

Place cardboard, etc under the oil leak area. Start engine and determine if there is a leak occurs when engine is running.

Squeaking noise at steering wheel inside car?

Engine off, rotate fans by hand and listen for noise and feel for the fan hitting something.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Check which engine type is in the car, 4-cylinder or V-6. The 4-cylinder engine oil pump can leak at the pump drive shaft seal. This leak will only occur when the engine is running. The leak can become major allowing the loss of a quart or more in under 30 miles.

If the oil pump, the leak will appear from under the timing belt cover as a slow steady drip.

My mistake on the fan. If the heater fan inside the car it could be something has falling into a vent and make its way to the fan. Its a squirrel cage type fan. It has happened mice get into the fan box and leave items.

The fan unit is easy to remove with a screw driver. Once out can see if anything is rattling around.

The steering wheel squeak could be the steering shaft or something rubbing against plastic. It's not uncommon. If you can narrow down the leak can spray something like silicone lube in the area.

You tube should have video's on all these items. If a 4 cylinder the engine model is a 5S-FE.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:20 AM

Thank you so very much for all the info. Yes I do believe it is a 4 cylinder. I’m sorry I forgot to answer in the previous post. It does dump a lot of oil. I just had to put in a bottle of oil the other day after 170 mike trip. Is this a costly fix in your opinion?

Again that you for your help. I’m going to you tube now.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

How many miles on the engine? Was the timing belt and or water pump ever replaced?

If doing your own work then its not costly. The cost would be in labor to get to the parts.

To replace the pump requires doing the same work as replacing the timing belt, plus the addition of replacing the oil pump and its housing.

A Toyota dealer could easily charge $750+. A third party shop might change the timing belt for $200-$250 plus parts then add in the oil pump plus perhaps 1 hour labor.

A shop should be able to quote a price up front.

While the car is apart, suggest replacing the timing belt and any parts such as timing belt idlers. Also have the shop inspect the cam and crank seals. And if the water pump has never been replaced change this.

The cost are in the labor to get to these parts (the oil pump being one). Once the car is apart to get to the oil pump, all these other parts are easily replaced. These other parts do fail over time.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:19 AM

I’ll have to check for sure but I think 170,000 on the mileage. I watched the YouTube video and it looks fairly simple. I am not a mechanic or anything close to so I’m more afraid of starting something that is going to be overwhelming and not know how to get it all back together. I had the water pump replaced last fall with two other parts that work hand in hand, which I did myself (the extra two parts) but would have to look to see what it is.

Ill get the parts online and try to do it. Fingers crossed..... my son drove it to classes about an hour away and dumped a huge amount of oil yesterday so I have to make this a priority. Is there a temporary fix just to hold me over a month?

Old 09-05-2018, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

There is no temp fix.

Carry oil in the car and check it OFTEN as in every 30 miles or less. You should have gotten an idea of how much its leaking per engine usage (engine on time) by now. The engine will leak oil whenever its running, even at idle.

To save money on oil, use Walmart brand oil or whatever you can find cheap.

The engine is just leaking a lot of oil. As long as as you keep adding oil the engine will be OK. If it runs out the engine will be damaged.

The oil pressure light comes on at 5 psi or less thus don't count on this to save the engine. By the time the light is on, the damage may be done.

The recommended belt change mileage is 90K. The timing belt may have been changed when the water pump was changed. However it may be worth changing it again if your planning to keep the car more then 90K miles. Because changing the belt requires almost the same labor as changing the oil pump.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:11 PM

Thank you so very much for all your help. I went today and bought a gallon size oil from Advanced Auto.