Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   2002 Solara Airbag Light (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/2002-solara-airbag-light-54767/)

jfultons 04-13-2022 10:05 PM

2002 Solara Airbag Light

2002 Solara v6 - My airbag light was flashing, even the dealer could not read codes, but cleaned the connections two months ago and the problem went away. All was well and good until this week when I had the tie rods replaced (which should be unrelated) but lo and behold the light is flashing again. The mechanic had to adjust the electronic seat although it does not move forward and backward, it does move up and down and will lean forward and back. Two other symptoms. 1) the driver's seat belt does not retract very well, it never has 2) and this one is new which just started happening since the airbag light started coming on - the seat belt warning buzzer does not emit a sound. However, the seat belt flashing light does come on and goes off once the seatbelt is plugged in. I have checked all the sensor connections and wiring as best I could for loose connections and crimped wiring. Might have missed one, as hard to get to under the driver's seat. My guess is it might have to do something with the seat belt, as I am sure the mechanic this week pulled on it some. And also the new symptom might be a clue, that coincidentally the seat belt warning buzzer also does not work anymore. Any suggestions?

toyomoho 04-13-2022 11:10 PM

The air bag wiring should be yellow in color. Did you check this wiring?

jfultons 04-14-2022 07:08 AM

Yes, I have checked the following yellow: airbag wiring: under the driver's seat, although it is hard to access, as I cant move the seat up; under the passenger seat; the front sensor under the battery; and the right front sensor too. The horn is working, so I am "assuming" the clock spring is olay. I have not yet checked the connections to the actual airbag module to the right of the gas pedal. I am still assuming what caused the issue is when the mechanic adjusted the front driver's seat and the driver's side seatbelt, yanking on it perhaps, as it does not retract as it should. I am still puzzled why the seat belt warning signal. or buzzer does not emit a sound anymore too, but like I said when the seat belt is plugged in the blinking seatbelt light does shut off.

toyomoho 04-14-2022 11:53 AM

In your first post you stated someone cleaned some connections and the problem went away. Was this the dealer and what connections were cleaned?

The SRS doesn't normally reset on its own. Meaning once the SRS light is on, even if the problem is fixed it will stay on until the system is reset by an ODBII system device.

It could be the seat belt is twisted under the door pillar cover and can't fully retract. You need to remove the cover (not to hard) to access the belt however there could be a side air bag under the cover.

jfultons 04-14-2022 12:00 PM

Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time for the feedback. Yes, the dealer said there was some moisture on one of the connectors, I need to go talk to the service rep from back in January to determine if they have better notes than the invoice. Interestingly, from back then I have had two shops and the Toyota dealer attempt to read the fault codes and nothing was showing up for this problem. One guy even told me it was because the car was manufactured in Canada. And good to know that even if I find a loose connection or dampness it has to be reset. Time to get a new car, but heck it only has 112,00 miles, not bad for a 20-year-old car owned, seriously by a 92 year old lady who never drove it the last few years.

toyomoho 04-14-2022 04:50 PM

Might go to the Toyotanation.com website which is a large Toyota DIY site. The site has a Canada section where you can ask about what it takes to read computer codes for a Toyota made in Canada.

Supposedly cars sold in Canada since 1998 were ODBII compliant. This is the same system used in the US.

If interested look under the hood.for a sticker related to the cars emission system. This sticker should state of the car is ODBII certified or whatever.

Take note that if the airbag light is blinking then the cars airbag system is off and will not work in an accident.