Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   2008 Camry Cold Start valve (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/2008-camry-cold-start-valve-52211/)

Siko 04-10-2018 02:39 PM

2008 Camry Cold Start valve

I am having an issue with my 2008 Camry 2.4, 220,000 miles. It takes 2 times of turning the key and cranking over before it actually starts. Battery checks out good, new starter, new plugs. Always on the second crank. I turn the key on for a few seconds listening to the fuel pump. Once it’s started it runs fine, engine idles smooth. I am at a loss as to what is causing my issue. Wondering if anyone else has ran into this. I think it’s the cold start valve but can’t find anyone who sells it for my year and model almost like it doesn’t exist. Any help would be much appreciated

toyomoho 04-11-2018 12:16 PM

The engine has no cold start injector.

The fuel pump will only run when the engine is turning over during start or running.

Is the starting constant or just a first time the engine is started the next day issue?

Siko 04-11-2018 01:51 PM

It is consistent, does matter if it’s the first start or the last start of the day or the temperature outside.

toyomoho 04-12-2018 10:41 AM

Any time period (minutes or hours) when the engine will start better? Such as you get gas. The engine is off for 10 minutes but restarts OK.

Siko 04-12-2018 12:13 PM

It’s a constant issue. Doesn’t matter on time, I drive it every day. It always takes me turning the ignition over twice all the time every time. Like I said I can hear the fuel pump before turning it over. Since you told me there is no magical cold start valve I am back to square -1. I bought the car 18,000 miles used/new and have owned it since. I am now at 220.190 miles. I do all my own work. I took a stab by buying a new starter thinking it was the issue, but I am truly at a loss with out spending more money on stuff I don’t need yet. Any help or more questions are much welcomed maybe it will make me think more about the cause.

toyomoho 04-13-2018 12:20 PM

If the engine turns over at a normal speed when starting, the starter is not the issue.

Can you check fuel pressure? Its possible the pressure is not up to spec or the pressure is bleeding off between starts.

The pressure regulator is connected to the fuel pump.

Might try jumping the pump wiring to have constantly on and the system pressurized. Then determine if the starting improves.

Also try cleaning the MAF sensor.

Siko 04-13-2018 12:40 PM

Thank you Toyomoho, I will difinatly give that a try. It may be a bit before I have time to try those but I will reply as soon as I get it done. I hate how work gets in the way of life. Thanks again

Siko 04-17-2018 09:42 AM

Just a quick update, cleaned the MAF and throttle body only because I was there anyways. No change on the starting issue. I will update again after I jumper the fuel pump.