DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

2008 Camry LE Dim Headlights On Low Beam

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:59 PM
Default 2008 Camry LE Dim Headlights On Low Beam

My headlights lens are clear and my high beams are bright enough but the low beams seem dim. I pulled the bulbs and they look fine and they both burn. Can the bulbs just get weaker over time or is something else going on?

Old 04-16-2015, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

I have an '07 and I was not impressed with the low beams at all. My lens were clear and the bulbs were good, just not bright enough for me.
I looked into getting HID set up but it seemed to be a lot of work to be safe for other drivers, like blocking the 'squirrel spotters' or retro fitting another HID projector into the headlight housing itself.
I went the route of the H9 conversion. Your stock bulb (H11) is 55w and the tip of the bulb has coating on it. The H9 is a Hi-beam grade bulb that uses 65w and is not coated at the tip. There is some minor sanding done to the H9 so it fits the wire harness and mounts into the actual headlight housing. With a Dremel it took me about 3 minutes to do both left and right H9 bulbs.
The results are great for light output and visibility. I will never put H11's back in. The projector lens does very well at directing the light and it does not blind other drivers. I've asked co-workers who travel the same route as I do if my lights are bright and they say 'no.'
Don't waste money on Silverstars or any other expensive bulb, they burn out too quick to justify the $35 you spent on them.
Just my opinion but I really enjoy my car's low beams now. More so than a friends late model Volvo XC with factory HID.
If you want to know more, I can post some links or search on this site for H9 conversion.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:45 AM

Thank you for such a excellent informative answer. Will do that soon. So did you just buy the h9 bulbs alone at the parts store or did you get that kit at Amazon?

Last edited by zxdavid; 04-17-2015 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

I just bought H9 bulbs off of eBay because they were so cheap and I didn't want to spend too much money on something that might not have worked.
I used a Dremel to sand down the appropriate parts of the bulb. I had looked at that kit on Amazon and I was thinking about getting it, but decided not to because the Dremel work was fast and cost nothing.
Just a quick note, the H9's have about half the lifetime of the H11. But it is totally worth it in my opinion! Let me know if you have any other questions. I meant to take 'before' and 'after' pics but if you look around online you can find some and maybe some on the youtube.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:27 PM

Is there a application specific to the H9 bulb? I called my parts store and didn't have a listing on it.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:31 PM

After checking around online it appears you can buy the bulbs at Home Depot $8.60 each. Thanks for you info!

Old 04-18-2015, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, I didn't know Home Depot carried headlight bulbs!

Old 04-19-2015, 12:02 PM

Well just found out its a Home Depot online product only and not carried in stores. I just wanted to get some locally if possible and get it done! I'll check around some more before I give up and order online. I didn't want to wait lol

Old 04-20-2015, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

I know how you feel when it comes to getting better lighting on the road. I'm sure if you went to Walmart or another parts store you could find them. You might have to pay a little bit more but once you get on the road at night, you'll be happy.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:19 AM

I got a couple Wagner H9 bulbs at a local parts store $11.09 each. They have metal bases. I didn't mention it before but this is actually my daughters car. She's been complaining about it for some time. Now that I've got the bulbs she doesn't seem to have time for me to put them in. Geesh! I just wanted to be done with it. I have so many little chores on my list to whittle away at.

Quick Reply: 2008 Camry LE Dim Headlights On Low Beam