DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

2010 Camry A/C Fan Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 12:26 AM
Default 2010 Camry A/C Fan Replacement

The A/C fan on my 2010 Camry just went out. I want to try and replace it myself. I think it's located above the glovebox but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure where I could order the part. Any help/links to directions for replacing it would be awesome. Thanks for any info.

Last edited by 2010CAMRY; 08-17-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Do you mean the blower fan for the climate control system? Look under the dash in area of glove box for a round shaped item, this is the blower assy. Blower motor and fan drop out from the bottom of the round housing after removing a few screws.

Note: The 2010 blower motor speed is controlled by a computer and is not as simple as the ones on older older cars whose speed was set by varying the line voltage. The motor could be OK but something else has failed.

Rockauto.com sells the motor, you should also be able to order it via autoparts stores and of course the dealer.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes that is what I mean. I tend to think it's just the motor because the fan has been off and on for a while now and sometimes when it's not working if you give it a tap under the dash it will start blowing. I've had regular floor fans that behaved the same way before they died. Do you think it's something I could change out on my own? Would it just be a matter of a couple of screws and plugging in the new fan or do I need to do anything with the computer? Thanks again for any info and thanks for the sites to buy parts.

Also one more question. The cabin air filter really needs to be replaced. From looking on rockauto.com. It appears to be under the dash as well. It this an easy job to replace? I think I might do that while replacing the blower motor.

Last edited by 2010CAMRY; 08-18-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

You should be able to change the part on your own. Might pickup a Haynes service manual (about $20) or perhaps your local library has service manuals.

The motor/blower are held in by screws (guessing 3) going up from the bottom of the motor housing (portion of housing having the motor attached). The screws attach the blower/motor to the round base above it. Look up under bottom of the motor for the screws. The motor/blower drops out from the bottom.

Your owners manual might have info on replacing the air filter. The location is typically above the round portion of the blower assy (motor/blower and the housing it screws on to). There should be a removable cover that once removed allows the filter to be pulled out toward the passengers seat.

You can replace the filter without taking apart the blower assy.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:55 AM

Thanks again. You've helped a ton.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:24 PM

I just finished the blower fan replacement and everything works perfectly now. I wanted to leave a description of the process for anyone else that's looking to do this job in the future.

The part is model number TYC 700215 and costs around $75-80. It looks like this:

Instructions(All direction left/right etc are when facing forward, seated in the car looking through the windshield)

1. First, be sure the car is turned off. Remove the trim panel underneath the glovebox. It's plastic and snaps in. Inserting a flat head screwdriver into each snap and prying it loose helps to remove it easier.

2. Remove the glovebox. There are instructions for this in the owner's manual. Bascially you open the glovebox. On the right is an actuator arm attached to a pin in the glove box. Slide the actuator off to the right. No tools required. The sides of the glovebox have pins that run in grooves in the dash. To remove the glovebox grab both sides of the glovebox and pull inward. The sides of the glovebox are flexible and the pins will pull out of the grooves. As you are doing this pull down on the glovebox. The base of the glovebox is attached with four snaps. Basically you just pull the glovebox off of the bar its snapped onto and it's free. Set it aside.

3. Look up under the dash and you will see the blower motor. See the pictures. It is installed black side down with the black assembly protruding from the center facing to the left. See pic 5. The cable is plugged into the front of it from your perspective in the passenger seat. It is held in by three flat head screws. Be sure you have a long flathead screwdriver and a very short flathead screwdriver. The two screws closest to you will require a long screwdriver to remove. The last screw in the back is the most difficult to remove and will require a very short screwdriver. You may also want to pull the carpet back like I did to give yourself a little extra room. Once all three screws are removed the blower motor will fall straight down. Unplug it and plug the new one in. At this point I turned the car on and tested it to save myself extra work if something wasn't correct. After you see it spinning turn the car off. Slide it up into place and screw it back in.

4. The A/C air filter is behind the glovebox in the dash. It has two snaps, one on each side and slides straight out. Just slide the new one in and your done.

5. To re-install the glovebox, position the snaps on the base along the bar that they sit on. Press down and rock side to side until they snap into place. Next squeeze the sides of the glovebox in so that the pins clear the front of the dash and then let them loose into the grooves. Replace the actuator arm on the right side. You will have to grab the end of it and pull it down to meet the pin it attaches too. Close the glovebox.

6. Replace the trim panel underneath by pressing the snaps into their respective holes. It's the easiest part of the entire job. Takes two seconds.

7. You're done.