Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   2012 camry rear brake pad replacement advice (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/2012-camry-rear-brake-pad-replacement-advice-52163/)

woot5 03-21-2018 11:31 PM

2012 camry rear brake pad replacement advice

Greetings, i have a 2012 toyota camry LE and i need to replace the rear brake pads, the car has 100,000km on it and the brakes have been properly serviced before (no sticking or seizing), problem is im short on cash and im curious how difficult it is to swap the brake pads, ive seen mechanics do it and it seems simple, i bought OEM pads from the toyota dealer.

This is what i imagine the job would look like.

-remove two bolts holding the calipers.
-separate the calipers.
-remove/ply out the old brake pads.
-install new OEM pads (clipping sound when seated correctly?)
-clamp back the calipers.
-replace the two bolts.

Am i missing anything?, should i apply grease/lube to any brake part?, i am assuming this would be a easy job due to the fact that the rest of the brake system is in good condition.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

hutchdale 03-22-2018 08:11 AM

I went to have my tires rotated and of course was lucky the Rep. found the rearbrake pads were worn. Saved me from running into the back of a propane truck and being on evening news. .Quoted $800 job. Geez. I told Rep I was running late and I'd have to return with a jar of Vaseline and he could have at me....NOT!!!
Discs were fine and saw no leakage from calipers. Changing pads were no more complicated that front ones. Opening brake fluid reservoir and slowly compressing calipers with small piece of wood and c-clamp. Correctly installing pads. Rechecking reservoir fluid after performing operation on both sides. All ok. Perform operation one side at at time so you can look at other side in case you forget what to do. No matter what ALWAYS write down your steps and number them. At each step place fasteners, etc. in a plastic sandwich bag with respective Step on bag with a magic marker. This may be overkill for changing pads but it is a life saver on more complicated projects. Good luck.

toyomoho 03-22-2018 12:14 PM

Do one side at a time to allow referencing the undisturbed side if needing to determine where parts go. Before taking apart, note where the pads shims and wear indicators go.

Obtain brake grease (high-temperature silicone grease). Grease used to lube brake pad shims and brake cylinder slider pins.

Loosen the brake bleeder valve on disc brake cylinder assy, but keep valve closed.

Remove rear disk brake cylinder assy.

Remove old pads.

Using a C-clamp or other tool, open brake bleeder valve while forcing the brake piston inwards. Once done, close bleeder valve. Note that fluid will come out of the valve.

Expelling old fluid keeps it from backing up into the brake system and possible causing issues with ABS.

Apply brake grease to inside face of brake shims that contact brake pad and install on pads. Don't get grease on pad face.

Check brake cylinder slider pins for free movement. The pins allow the disk brake cyl assy to slide sideways. Can remove and lube pins with same grease.

Install new pads with shims plus wear indicators, etc. into cylinder assy.

Mount cylinder assy and torque bolts to 25 lbf.

Torque bleeder valve 71 in. lbf. Don't over tighten or can break off the valve stem.