DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

92 Camery LE 2.2 Auto Transmission problem

Old 11-08-2016, 10:35 PM
Default 92 Camery LE 2.2 Auto Transmission problem

A while back, I bought a 92 Camry 2.2L A/T with 94K miles. It ran great and was in very good shape. We've put about 6k on it since. Recently, I noticed an oil leak; valve cover gasket had oil running down the back of the engine. Then the transmission started acting up.

Engine runs normally, but when put in drive, it accelerates very sluggishly, eventually reaching cruising speed, but no power. Reverse works fine, hit the gas and she flies backward. First gear appears to work fine as well. If you put it in second going down the road, it will surge ahead, then slow way down, then surge again.

Could the leaking oil have gotten into the solenoid connections and be causing the problem? Wondering, because both occurred about the same time. I replaced the valve cover gasket and stopped the leak.
The tranny fluid is full, red and no burned smell. No transmission fluid leaking.

Any ideas?

Old 11-08-2016, 10:42 PM

if the motor performs well

my thoughts
faulty TPS ..(throttle position sensor) can cause this issue
has an adjustment or replace

your description of tranny oil and color
says transmission is in good shape internally

automatic gearbox solenoids are internal

engine oil leaks are not normally the cause of automatic fault

Attached Thumbnails 92 Camery LE 2.2 Auto Transmission problem-s-l300.jpg  

Last edited by dirty hands; 11-08-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:08 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I just went out and did a stall test. Drive was 2400 rpm, reverse was about 2350.

I'll pick up a TPS tomorrow and give it a shot.