DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Stuck Oil filter - 2004 Camry + using old filter until I can replace it

Old 05-13-2022, 09:45 PM
Default Stuck Oil filter - 2004 Camry + using old filter until I can replace it

Hi can someone please help me with a few questions.
I'm trying to take the oil filter out of a 2004 Camry. I drained the oil and then went at the filter. I could not remove it by hand. Can I use an oil filter wrench to get it out or do I need something like one of those caps that fit on the bottom and then you use a sock wrench to twist it. I just want to know if the oil filter wrench will work because its such as tight space and I am trying the filter wrench but I'm having such a hard time with it in the space I have to work with, so I just want to see if I'm wasting my time.

Also, I know its not recommended but realistically, is it okay to drive with new oil for a bit (I.e. 100 KM) while I figure out how to get the filter replaced. I'm at around 8,500 KM since my last filter and oil change (done by the dealership) so the oil would be new but the filter would be the old one until I can get it off and other one on. I guess the the first question is, can you change the oil filter without draining the oil? Than if so, can i use the old filter with new oil until I can replace the old filter with a new one.

Thank you.

Old 05-13-2022, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, OK to add new oil with old filter.

There is a tool to remove the canister that fits up to the bottom of the canister. Search the internet for 2AZFE oil canister removal tool or wrench

It's always better to replace the filter with the oil change. However, some owners only change the filter on their cars every other oil change. In a pinch with not having a filter have just changed the oil, then when getting the filter replaced it. It's not a big deal. The only oil you will lose is that in the filter.

Here, add the new oil. Get the tool. Remove canister and replace filter. Start engine to fill canister. Stop engine and top off oil.

Find a Youtube video on replacing the filter for this engine. Once the canister is loose, drop it straight down and don't cant it sideways.

Old 05-14-2022, 10:13 AM

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Just to confirm I am going to put in the new oil and than replace the oil filter a little later and leave in the oil that I had just put in. Can you let me know though, I am reading in many places online where using an oil oil filter is dangerous. Not doubting you. Just would like a bit more insight. Also that tool you mentioned. Does it work for this type of filter 90915-YZZF1 Oil Filter. I see online that the wrench is being used for another type of filter. Thanks.

Old 05-14-2022, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Toy233432
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Just to confirm I am going to put in the new oil and than replace the oil filter a little later and leave in the oil that I had just put in. Can you let me know though, I am reading in many places online where using an oil oil filter is dangerous. Not doubting you. Just would like a bit more insight. Also that tool you mentioned. Does it work for this type of filter 90915-YZZF1 Oil Filter. I see online that the wrench is being used for another type of filter. Thanks.
Hi Sorry. I meant using an old oil filter

Old 05-14-2022, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Let's start over and forget everything stated before about filter removal tools.

If your engine has a can type filter such as 90915-YZZF1 then look for a removal tool such as one listed below.

https://www.malcoproducts.com/produc...filter-wrench/

https://www.motivxtools.com/products...r-removal-tool

Amazon Amazon

These tools grab the filter from below. When looking for a tool find one has a filter diameter usefulness range of your filter. If your filter is say 3 1/2 inch in diameter, the tool would need have a filter diameter range that included 3 1/2 inches.

There are cup type removal tools where the bottom of the filter fits into the cup. However these are more prone to slipping between the cup and filter housing.

If you have enough filter access one can also drive a screw driver into the lower half of the filter and use the handle as leverage to rotate it.

Youtube has LOTS of videos on removing a stuck oil filter.

As to changing the filter. It is possible for a filter to plug up with debris and go into bypass mode. Bypass mode is where the filter is so plugged up oil can not flow though it anymore. Here a valve in the filter opens to allow the oil to bypass the filter. The engine is still getting oil but it is not being filtered. You stated the last filter change was not that long ago in terms of miles and time. Given this your filter is not plugged up.

There will be some old oil in the filter but this is a few ounces and insignificant.

It has happened an engine has low usage miles or hours between the last oil change yet due to time the oil needs changing. Some people here just change the oil. At other times like with you, the filter can not be removed. It also has happened one finds they don't have the correct filter as they thought and even times the replacement filter is damaged. Here one can either refill with new oil and drive or be without a vehicle.

In your situation as described would have zero issues with refilling with new oil and driving. When able to get a filter, a removal tool, etc the filter would be replaced, then as stated top off the oil. I have needed to do this a number of times over the years and never had issues or thought twice about it.

If you have a LOT of miles or usage time on a filter it can start to fail as in internally fall apart. But your time/miles between the last change is NOT a lot.

Old 05-14-2022, 03:43 PM

Hi. Thank you very much for all your help and info. I was actual able to find that tool and got the filter out so at the end of the day I replaced the filter, oil at the same time. Your information is very helpful to me and will be useful to know so thank you very much. PS I was able to borrow the tool but I'll look up the specs you mention so I can purchase one. I did stop by a Toyota dealership out of desperation to see if I could get a tool from there (they quoted 60 bucks) and I asked if it was an issue to do the oil fill first and then the filter later (so I can drive to the place I could get the filter removed) and I was told that it was strongly discouraged and the oil could be contaminated, etc. Hence my reasons for trying to learn to do some of these things myself verses relying on the dealership.

Thank you.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on getting it done!

Old 05-17-2022, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Toy233432
Hi. Thank you very much for all your help and info. I was actual able to find that tool and got the filter out so at the end of the day I replaced the filter, oil at the same time. Your information is very helpful to me and will be useful to know so thank you very much. PS I was able to borrow the tool but I'll look up the specs you mention so I can purchase one. I did stop by a Toyota dealership out of desperation to see if I could get a tool from there (they quoted 60 bucks) and I asked if it was an issue to do the oil fill first and then the filter later (so I can drive to the place I could get the filter removed) and I was told that it was strongly discouraged and the oil could be contaminated, etc. Hence my reasons for trying to learn to do some of these things myself verses relying on the dealership.
Thank you.
if you did that on your own congrats my friend good job

Last edited by gareth cage; 05-17-2022 at 05:10 PM.