Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   94 Toyota Camry DX Help (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/94-toyota-camry-dx-help-40057/)

94Owner 01-23-2012 06:18 PM

94 Toyota Camry DX Help

I have a 94 Toyota Camry that keeps blowing its AM2 30amp Fuse thus the fuel pump wont turn on. I retraced the wires from the fuel pump to the driver side relay block and found no fried wires. However I did find a Blue/Black wire taped to another Blue/Black wire however the one taped did not run to the Relay Block like the one it was taped to. Is that normal? or Do I need to splice it into the one that runs to the relay block? I bought the car off someone just recently so I have no idea what they have done (or not done) with the car. Also if the wiring sounds normal to you guys. What wire would be causing the AM2 fuse to keep blowing? Any advice would be really helpful :)

toyomoho 01-23-2012 06:50 PM

The blue/black wire also runs to the FP terminal inside the Diagnostic box mounted on the passengers strut tower.

In between the AM2 fuse and fuel pump is the EFI fuse.

Look on the drivers side strut tower for a noise filter/capacitor. About the size of an AA battery. The capacitor can short out.

Items on AM2 fuse include:
Igniter
Ign coil
Injectors
ECU
Ign switch and unlock switch

94Owner 01-23-2012 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 69170)
The blue/black wire also runs to the FP terminal inside the Diagnostic box mounted on the passengers strut tower.

In between the AM2 fuse and fuel pump is the EFI fuse.

Look on the drivers side strut tower for a noise filter/capacitor. About the size of an AA battery. The capacitor can short out.

Thanks Toyomoho I will give that a check 1st thing in the morning. Was reading something about maybe a faulty distributor. Guess there is some wires in there that can go bad. What are your thoughts? Worth taking a look at?

toyomoho 01-23-2012 08:11 PM

The non-California emissions car has the coil built into the distributor housing.

The distributor circuits controlling ign timing are not on the AM2 circuit.

The Calif and non-Calif ign coils are on the AM2 circuit.

If the coil is built into the distributor unhook the distributor electrical connector and recheck for shorts.

If you think it is the fuel pump circuit remove the EFI fuse.

The other fuse on the circuit is the IGN fuse.

Other circuits listed previous are not on fused circuits except for AM2 fuse.

94Owner 01-23-2012 09:58 PM

Ok thanks for the information. How about that second Blue/Black wire thats connected to the fuel pump but not the relay block. Does that need to be spliced into the first Blue/Black wire that runs to the relay block or should I just leave that alone?

toyomoho 01-25-2012 10:08 AM

The 2nd blue/Black wire connected to the relay is supposed to go to terminal FP on the Diagnostic plug. A small plastic box located on the drivers or passengers strut tower.

94Owner 03-13-2012 07:51 AM

*Update*

Took it to a shop and from what the mechanic said it was the alternator. Glad I took it in because I never would have guessed the alternator. Not really sure how the alternator would pop the am2 fuse and not run just the fuel pump but hey at least its fixed lol

toyomoho 03-13-2012 09:54 AM

Great, thanks for posting back with the fix.