DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

98 Camry transmission speed sensor - help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:59 PM
Default 98 Camry transmission speed sensor - help please

So my 98 Camry stopped getting into gear and started throwing p1705 on my reader. I replaced the transmission speed sensor that has a gear in it but there is a second sensor pictured below.

where in God's name can I find this on the the transmission??!

Old 02-20-2018, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Automatic or manual Trans? V-6 or 4-cylinder?

The part in question is located on the differential portion of the trans. Look down at the engine from the front of the car. Then look to the driver side of engine where the trans is. The differential is located on the firewall side of the trans.

Find where the drivers side axle shaft enters the differential. Follow an axial line off the axle shift over the top of the differential. The sensor is located on top the differential along this line.

The round part of the sensor fits into the differential housing. The sensor is bolted to the housing via the hole in the arm coming off the sensor. The sensor will have a wire cable running to the oval end.

As to the car stopping from getting into gear. What is the problem here?

The speed sensor picks up the rotational speed of the differential ring gear. This in part to determine when the trans will shift gears and for speedometer purposes.

The trans should still shift into any forward gear by manual usage of the shifter control and into reverse.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the reply!

it's a v6 automatic and I think I am will be able to find it now due to your instructions!

2 days ago the car seemed to "lose power" and the rpms would rev and the transmission would engage weakly. As suddenly as that happened about a mile later the car drove normal. I took it home and tested it the next day and again the transmission would engage but weakly. I got it about a quarter mile around the block and it stopped engaging all together. Pulled over and 20 minutes later was able to get it to engage just enough to get it home.

that's when the CEL came on and threw the p1705 code. Everything I found said to Check the sensor first but I couldn't locate and I'm really hoping it's not a blown granny otherwise this baby is donezo.

any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated!

thanks!

Last edited by Ntrlhattrick; 02-20-2018 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Missing info
Old 02-20-2018, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Code P1705 is NC2 Revolution Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Direct Clutch Speed Sensor). This sensor is for picking up rotation speed on a clutch pack hub connected to transmission input shaft from engine.

The photo's appear for the speedometer sensor.

Based on your symptoms. It "appears" the trans has either internal problems such as failed clutch, brake, torque converter system or low fluid/plugged up trans oil pump intake screen.

It appears the clutch hub having the sensor is rotating, but the car is not moving. The result being the NC2 sensor shows rotation and the speedo sensor which detects differential ring gear rotation (axle rotation) does not. This could set the P1705 code.

Check trans fluid level. Try shifting trans manually through all gears including reverse.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:57 PM

ATF is full. The car does engage in some reverse and drive but very weakly and sometimes not at all. Sounds like it' time to take yeller out back. Damn.

thanks!

Old 02-20-2018, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Could change the trans fluid and filter. Some owners state the trans worked OK afterward. However unless a plugged screen. If the trans now works, don't expect the problems not to return later on.

If doing this, inspect the screen for excess debris plugging it. Plus pan for fiber debris and metal. The pan has magnets to retain ferrous metal.