Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   98 Camry crankshaft gear removal (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/98-camry-crankshaft-gear-removal-40224/)

Mike_98Camry 02-24-2012 08:13 PM

98 Camry crankshaft gear removal

I am attempting to remove the oil pump on a 98 Camry 2.2 4 cyl. I have everything off except the cranksaft gear that turns the timing belt. Have searched the internet high and low to find out how to no avail. Thought I could just pry it off, but ended up breaking a few of the timing teeth used for position sensing. I'm convinced there must be some trick to getting it off as I have read many posts where people indicated they replaced the crackshaft oil seal which is located behind this gear. Any help (short of dynamite) would be appreciated! Thanx

toyomoho 02-24-2012 09:19 PM

If the timing belt pulley on the crankshaft snub is stuck use a bolt puller. The puller attaches to two threaded holes on the face of the pulley.

Mike_98Camry 02-25-2012 10:24 AM

There are no threaded holes to remove timing sprocket. I already have the harmonic balancer removed if that is what you are refering to. I'm attempting to remove the timing sprocket behing that. I've heated it with a torch and still won't budge. I believe that it's seized to the crankshaft. I see no rust or corrosion of any sort, but it will not budge.

toyomoho 02-25-2012 11:11 AM

Does the pulley face have no holes or a lot of holes. If a lot of holes two may be threaded.

Try hitting the sides of the pulley with a brass hammer or other tool. Alternating heat and hitting.

Since teeth are already broken off try using two screw drivers one on each side to pry the gear off.

There are also various types of claw tools, one is below:

Pry Bar Set - 4 Piece

Try a small wedge(s) made of soft metal and drive it gently between the gear and housing behind it.

Most times the gear breaks free. If hard to fully remove, once its out far enough use a claw puller.

Mike_98Camry 02-27-2012 09:53 PM

It has no holes - or had no holes to be exact. I took your first reply and drilled/taped 2 holes, added bolts, then put my puller on. Came off with quite a bit of force. Turned out there were spots of rust between the sprocket and crank. When the new one goes on, I'm lathering it with some anit-seize compound! Thanx for the suggestion - this thread can be closed :D

happykanpo 03-09-2013 04:24 AM

媚薬

媚薬
花痴
五便宝
sex-drops
新曲美痩身カプセル
女性用媚薬
精力増強剤
媚薬
ED助勃
媚薬

kazthebassman 11-16-2019 12:05 PM

crank shaft key is stopping the crank timing gear from coming off

Hi All,
On my '98 5sfe, the crank shaft key is stopping the crank timing gear from coming off.
I was thinking about hitting it with a grinder at the back but have not tried a puller yet..I need to get longer bolts for my puller.
I'm afraid of mashing the key if I use a puller. Anyone ever run into this? The keyway is clean and the gear pulley moves freely.
I'm going to get the longer bolts and try with lite pressure, if that doesn't work , hopefully a short hit with the angle grinder will do it. I'll report back. Mean while any input is appreciated.

kazthebassman 11-16-2019 06:55 PM

It came off easily with a bolt type puller.
I was afraid the previous 'mechanic had done something to booger up the key, as I had seen some other somewhat minor 'sins' along the way.