Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   98 Camry turn signals quit (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/98-camry-turn-signals-quit-39628/)

flamechasere1 10-28-2011 10:39 AM

98 Camry turn signals quit

Driving car and turn signals just stopped working. Flashers still work. I have a new turn signal arm to install on the column. Do you have to take the steering wheel off to get the covers off? Could it be anything else? Thanks for the help.

toyomoho 10-28-2011 05:48 PM

No need to remove the steering wheel.

The only other issue is the flasher unit, but as they still work?

flamechasere1 10-29-2011 11:05 AM

Flashers work fine. I have removed the one screw on the bottom of the steering column. Do you just pry off the covers from there? I don't want to break them. I've been known to pry too hard and break things! Thanks for your help.

toyomoho 10-29-2011 12:28 PM

There appears to be three screws. All on bottom half cover.

Two facing the steering wheel, one on the bottom of the cover.

flamechasere1 10-31-2011 03:19 PM

Thanks for the info. You know it takes us newbies a while to figure things out. If I turn the steering wheel I can get to the screws on the top of the column. Just as a after note. The turn signals started working again last night. I will still replace the multi function switch though. The add that says the the lady's car has 303,000 miles on it and still loves her Camry. We are not far behind at 267,000 miles.

toyomoho 10-31-2011 07:20 PM

Thanks for posting back with your efforts.

Multicamryman03 04-10-2012 04:37 PM

Thanks to both of you. My signals on my 98 Camry quit just recently, however the E flashers still work. I am planning on changing the switch assembly. Did that correct the issue?

flamechasere1 04-11-2012 05:40 PM

I kind of hate to tell you I haven't yet changed the multifunction switch yet. Since mine started working again after a 2 week hiatus I didn't replace it. I thought since it's working again I would save the switch. What I did do was activate the flashers again to check them again and that's when the turn signals started working again. So I'm guessing the flashers had something to do with the turn signals not working even though the flashers worked. So as far as I know you might activate your flashers a few times and try the turn signals again. It worked for me. They are still working 6 mos. later. Not much help for you I'm sure, but that's how mine started working again.

Multicamryman03 04-12-2012 08:02 AM

Fixed

Thanks for the feedback. I visited my local dealership who didn't have a flasher relay in stock, which I found out later, was beneficial to my wallet. They did however give me some ideas on where the flasher was located. I then went to Auto Zone and bought one for 82% less and installed it in less than 5 minutes. For anyone who wants to know the location for the flasher relay on a 98 Camry, it is under the small kick plate that tucks under the sill plate to the left of the driver's foot. My turn signals are back in service thank God.

full house 04-12-2012 09:17 PM

wow awesome dude, thanks for telling the location of flasher, where is the dealership located?