DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

99 camry front brake rotor removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Default 99 camry front brake rotor removal

I am having trouble removing the front brake rotors. I've removed thecaliper and the torque plate but the rotor will not move. I've banged it withrubber mallet and even put a steel bar across the hub and attached two c-clampson opposite sides of the rotor and it still will not break loose.

Have I missed something? The only other thing I can think to try is using asledge hammer or heat. I do not have a pulling tool to attach and use.

Please advise

Thanks

Old 07-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

The rotor may be rusted to the hub.

Penetrating fluid may help but needs a long time to work.

Heat will work but would need more then a small propane torch.

Determine if the rotor has two threaded holes opposite each other where the studs are. If so install bolts using them when rotated to force the rotor away from the hub. Once the bolts are very tight, hitting the rotor with a hammer may help pop it free.

Or try the method shown below being careful not to bend the ears where the bolts are attached by applying too much force. Again when the bolts are tight hitting with a hammer may help break the rotor free.

Would reserve the large sledge hammer until all is is tried as might damage the wheel bearings. Be careful if the axle has a ABS sensor. If this is case don't hit with any hammers as can damage the sensor or remove the sensor.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:00 AM

Thanks, this was great info. After watching the video I took a steel mallet to the rotors and that worked.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:39 AM

I have a 2001 Camry and the lower slide pin on one of the front brakes is not moving when I replaced the brake pads. I can't get the caliper over the new pads (piston is pushed into bore using C-clamp) since the sliding pin is too far extended to get the caliper mounted. I used a hammer to give it some light taps; a wrench to no avail; a C-clamp to get it back in, but no give. How do I get that BAD BOY moving so I can complete my brake job? Help!!

Old 08-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

You were able to move the pin in with a C-clamp?

If pin extends out far enough, find a tool (perhaps the correct size open end wrench) and slide this behind the pin head then hit the tool next to the pin with a hammer. If it is starts to come out but stops, apply penetrating fluid, grease, oil or whatever you can find and push it back in to coat the hole, then repeat until the pin comes out.

If required the boot can be removed or cut off.

Once the pin is out coat both pins with lithium grease to allow free movement. The pins need to be free to move or the brakes will not work properly.

Note: A press works much better then hitting with a hammer, this is why the C-clamp works. As such you may need hit harder, perhaps having someone apply torque to the pin as you hit it.

Last edited by toyomoho; 08-11-2013 at 06:14 PM.