DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

99 camry fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Default 99 camry fuel filter

hey . when i start car there is a good bit of vibration and it sometimes continues when i give gas ,. i have heard from multiple sources that it was either pump p or filter. any ideas ? i put treatment in and no prob for week. prob gonna change filter first but have no idea how,. anyi believe filter is located behind air filter but havent looked. any help would be great.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Other then the vibration how does the car perform? The can fuel filter rarely plugs up and if so the car would have poor performance, acceleration, etc.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:48 AM

It performs ok i guess. In the mornings i have to go out and let it run for while before the vibrations will stop. It does not vibrate unless i am giving gas. Usually, after it warms up in mornings, it does ok. There will be a rare case every once in a while that it starts the vibration during the day when i accelerate. I asked the guy that had the car previous and he does not rmember ever changing fuel filter and i read something about changing it ever 30 to 40 thosand miles? The only reason i would say it was fuel was becasue the treatment helped for a week. had no problems at all for that whole week. I thought about getting some Heet and trying it b/c someone said it may just be water in tank but idk

Old 04-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

The filter is low cost so worth a shot. However changing the filter can be difficult as the fuel line fittings can be frozen and VERY hard to break loose. If changing the filter use tube wrenches on both filter and tube fittings to prevent twisting of the line and rounding over of the fuel line fittings by a open end wrench.

Might try another bottle of fuel treatment and determine if the same results occur.

There is also a sock filter on the pump could check this.

You can also drop the tank, then drain and flush it.

Or could be something else such as ign system causing poor spark. Vacuum hose leak, etc.

What model engine V6 or 4 cylinder?

What is the idle RPM when cold?

Old 04-18-2012, 08:04 AM

its a 4 cylinder. Usually in mornings i will go out and crank for bit before i leave. It usually stays between 1th and 2 th rmps until i put it in reverse, then it goes down between 1 and 0. I tried another bottle of gas treatment and it did not help at all. Makes no sense to be seeing as how the first one worked for a week or so before starting to mess up again. I did price fuel filters and thought about just replacing it and using process of elimination...if that's not it, then it's got to be something else.

I read to use hose clamps to clamp off before you remove filter as gas will spray everywhere.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Place a rag around the fitting and if possible a container underneath the filter to catch the fuel.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:58 AM

I think i'm going to change the plugs first. I noticed you had mentioned that so I called the guy that I bought car from. He said that he just about guarantees that it's the original plugs in there and that could be cuasing it. When I crank and listen to motor, i hear what sounds like a spark coming from somewhere. Guy i know had car do same thing and it was the plugs/wires that needed to be replaced. I will prob work on that today If i get the time and pray that its what's wrong

Old 04-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Operate the engine at night when dark and look for arcing. Also check for arcing at the ign coil(s) body and where the plug wires push in.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:03 PM

original 99 plugs? kidding me? you need to change plugs AND dizzy wires right away.
what you have is cold start hesitation. resulting in vibration. also, your car might be running rich, which you need to change air filter too. if it does not supply enough oxygen, engine runs rich, until it warms up, and gasoline evaporates faster inside, as in unburnt droplet of it, causing bad spark. resulting in under-performance and vibration.

also, you may have vacuum or air leak somewhere. cold metal shrinks, gaps open. hot metal expands, gaps close.

PS, actually, if it's all original, then your dizzy is about there also, at least - coil and ignitor.